8.3 mode when CSE invoked from within IE

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
c24m48
Rank II - Novice

8.3 mode when CSE invoked from within IE

Post by c24m48 »

I originally reported this as a question about links not validating correctly, possibly as the result of some sort of case sensitivity issue. Links are validating correctly when I invoke CSE directly, but they do not validate correctly when I invoke CSE from within Internet Explorer. That is, from within Internet Explorer I do Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> HTML Editor and then set CSE as my HTML editor. Then, I do File -> Edit with CSE from within Internet Explorer to edit the file that I want to change.

CSE is invoked successfully in this situation, except that the file name reported in the CSE title bar is in 8.3 mode and is in upper case, File Save As.... from within CSE defaults to 8.3 mode, and links do not validate correctly. Apparently, once CSE starts treating file names in 8.3 mode, all the other problems are direct consequences of 8.3 mode. CSE does not default to 8.3 when I invoke it directly, File Save As ... works correctly, and links are validated correctly.

From within IE, I have tried Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> HTML editor -> "select a program" for a wide variety of programs. These include Netscape 7.1, Microsoft FrontPage, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Notepad, and CSE. CSE is the only program in the list that goes into 8.3 mode when it is invoked from IE. I make note of the fact that most of the programs in the list are from Microsoft, but Netscape 7.1 is not from Microsoft. With Netscape 7.1, the correct long form and lower case form of the file name is passed properly from IE to Netscape 7.1 and appears correctly in the Netscape 7.1 title bar.

I'm not familiar with whatever API is used to pass the full length and lower case file name from IE to Netscape 7.1, but there apparently is some way to do it and I would assume that CSE could emulate Netscape 7.1 and the various Microsoft programs in this regard. So as a suggestion for a future enhancement, I would find it very helpful if CSE could be invoked from IE without CSE going into 8.3 mode.

Jerry Bryan
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to look into this for a future version.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial