Best JavaScript linter?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Best JavaScript linter?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

CSE HTML Validator includes JavaScript Lint by Matthias Miller at http://www.javascriptlint.com/.

I was wondering if anyone here uses a JavaScript linter? What about JSLint at http://jslint.com/? Is this one "the best"?

I am considering updating the JavaScript linting in CSE HTML Validator v11 and would appreciate anyone's feedback on this.

Thanks!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Best JavaScript linter?

Post by MikeGale »

I can't compare the two linters.

To do that I guess you'd need a comparative shootout, against a realistic sample of content and developers.

In essence these guys are saying that JavaScript has good and bad bits, we'll help to avoid the bad bits. It's one of Doug Crockford's life themes, and he publicises it brilliantly. In my view you can't blame Brendan Eich (who created JavaScript) for the problems. As far as I can figure he basically had 10 or so days to take the ideas in the Self language and dress them up so that they looked like Java. In that context he far exceeded any reasonable expectation!

For big programs the language can be lethal to project success, if used unwisely.

I'd look for a comparison or set one up. Side by side comparison...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I've decided to integrate JSLint into CSE HTML Validator v11. I suspect it is the best JavaScript linter and it is still supported and being improved. The previous JavaScript linter, "JavaScript Lint" is also still included.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Sounds like a good idea to me. Doug is dedicated to improving the language and puts ongoing effort into it.

I'm looking forward to trying out the integration.

In my view JavaScript syntax is a hindrance. If you want to see how elegant it could look (if the Netscape mandated syntax is scrubbed) look at something called Coffee. It's kinda like JavaScript without the distraction. A very easy reading language. Not stable and ready for use yet, in my view. (I sometimes wonder how the Coffee code compares with Self code (I've never looked at Self code!). Self was the language that inspired JavaScript. It was a contender for the position that Oak (later called Java) eventually took. Some think it's a better language!)