Good SEO Page to Optimize Websites

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Good SEO Page to Optimize Websites

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I found this page which seems to have some good SEO information.

Perfecting Keyword Targeting & On-Page Optimization

It includes information about the title and header tags, meta keywords, using keywords in content, and more.

It also includes this interesting chart which I've attached. If you see scroll bars, you can click on it to expand the chart.
Attachments
google-ranking-algo-survey.gif
google-ranking-algo-survey.gif (25.09 KiB) Viewed 14832 times
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Good SEO Page to Optimize Websites

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks Albert, very interesting.

I know that the algorithms are updated regularly, maybe weekly is my guess. Individual servers can have new algorithm-parts switched in to test and to phase roll-out etc. I imagine that is an extremely interesting process.

The search engines are losing the battle against irrelevant content, but maybe that's not so surprising, it's too easy to create content today with the inevitable result.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:The search engines are losing the battle against irrelevant content, but maybe that's not so surprising, it's too easy to create content today with the inevitable result.
Yes, sadly that seems so. It seems more and more junk is appearing in search results.

I would think there would be a way for Google to get user feedback on sites and incorporate feedback/ratings from "trusted users" in the search results. But then again, it may be difficult to 'root out' ratings from real users from ratings from spamming users... but then again, Google could probably figure it out. :)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

There are attempts to do something about it out there. None I've seen hit the sweet spot yet but they are interesting examples to learn from.

(StumbleUpon, Alexa ratings (a whole site, not a page = a mistake), that open directory...)

Ultimately I feel that the one size fits all idea is at the centre of the problem. Consider the number of SEO people who contributed to that graph. There are hordes of people, some very bright, who are working to up ratings irrespective of content quality. The evil part of the work they do skews results and is a major problem. Keywords and descriptions fell because of them. A general solution for everybody's problem is both impossible to achieve and doomed, because of the tender attentions of these guys.

Social networks are part of the solution, though these are all experiments at present and some of the experiments are run by idiots. They are also trying some sort of one size fits all while regularly slipping into immoral behaviour as they try to make a buck.

There's a few principles that haven't yet got through to the people who design this stuff, but with the evidence strewn all around they'll eventually realise.

Ultimately it will settle out and be a better world for those who have the determination and who have a plan.

In the meantime I still get tweets in response to searches. (I don't think one of these, in search results, has ever been any use at all). The secret will be to find ways to completely exclude a large part of the web/infosphere, leaving material with at least minimal quality.

I think it will come down to personal initiaitive and groups of like minded people to fix it.
Last edited by MikeGale on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadomagenge
Rank I - Novice

Post by cadomagenge »

Thank you sharing this good SEO information, i like it.