Default "view source" for Edge

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Default "view source" for Edge

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I finally was able to update to Windows 10 (from 7) at work and spent most of Monday and half of today fixing things that broke.

Today I noticed viewing source in IE11 didn't bring up CSE and fixed by it running CSE in admin mode and using the menu item.

Now since Edge wants to be my default browser and complain when I use IE, it'd be nice to be able to view source of an Edge page in CSE.

I found an app that's supposed to let you view source ("The HTML Editor"), but haven't been able to get that to work.

Would you have to write an app for Edge to make it the default editor? (Didn't you do that already for FireFox? I can't find it.)
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Default "view source" for Edge

Post by RSteinwand »

Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

To get Internet Explorer to bring up CSE HTML Validator when viewing source was a registry change. Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple like this in Edge. In fact, I don't think it's possible from what I've read so far.

There is a new feature in CSE HTML Validator v16 that you may not know about. If you go to Editor-Options and the Clipboard page then you can check the option to watch the clipboard for HTML documents. You may also want to check the option below that to auto validate the documents (and maybe the option below that as well).

When this is done, you can hit F12 in Edge and then copy and paste the source to the clipboard. If CSE HTML Validator is running then it should automatically open a new document with the clipboard contents and validate it (if you also selected the auto validate option). This works in any browser where you can copy the source to the clipboard, not just Edge.

On my "to-do" list is to also see if there is any extension(s) already made for Chrome and/or Firefox that will make it easy to save the document source to a file and then open it in an editing program like CSE HTML Validator... or simply to copy the source to the clipboard which can trigger a validation by CSE HTML Validator if it's watching the clipboard. Do you think you'd use something like this?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

First of all I don't use Edge (or IE) much so not a huge loss if source isn't easily available. I'm not a fan of IE (to put it mildly) and Edge is too cobbled at this point (limited access to settings, can't even view source) so not sure I'll be using it much. Could just a well make IE my default and keep Edge around for testing.

Right now for Firefox, where I do most of my development, I just view source, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-W, then paste it into the current tab of CSE. I doubt I'd use "saving to a file", would be more work and monitoring for source on the clipboard I might try. (if there's no false positives or excessive cpu load). I love it when registering a product and it detects it on the clipboard.

If I could right-click in FireFox or Chrome and view source directly in CSE, I'm all for it, but otherwise view source, copy, paste is already easy enough.

I usually avoid the F12 in IE/Edge since I'm not familiar with it and can't see the benefit over other tools, unless I'm trying to see the css used by an element.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

Please try the clipboard monitoring options and let me know what you think. You may like it and it may save a few keystrokes.

I just found this Easy Copy Firefox extension that looks pretty good. It can copy the source to the clipboard and then CSE HTML Validator can recognize it. Well, that is "the plan" anyway. It doesn't seem to copy the exact source and there is no DOCTYPE so CSE HTML Validator doesn't automatically recognize it as HTML but I am going to improve CSE HTML Validator to recognize more HTML clips so that it will, then it can instantly validate it. Perhaps it is returning the source from the DOM, which would be a big plus in many cases.

Anyway, I hope to finish adding support for the new "referrerpolicy" attribute, then improve the HTML clipboard detection, then send you a link to a v17 BETA to try. I hope you will be able to use it and the Firefox extension above to improve your HTML checking powers!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Sounds like fun.

Thanks.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Although I do all my development in Firefox and use Chrome for research (and my default browser at home), I decided that my work default in Windows 10 was going back to IE11. Just the fact that the download locations can't be set is a good enough reason to drop it.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I found out there are some advanced options for Edge if you type this in the URL: about:flags

It's possible you might need to be on the anniversary version of Windows 10 (1607)

One of them is "View Source". I also enabled TCP Fast Open.

Of course none of this makes me want to use Edge (but when Google Chrome first came out I said the same thing). :?
Rick