Unneeded css

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Unneeded css

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I hope you're staying warm. We had -15°F this morning with -25°F forecast for Saturday night. Definitely colder than the last few years for us. The coldest I remember was -35° during a cold spell that lasted more than a week back in the late 90's. Fun times.

I just noticed this today as I was weeding out support for old IE gradient images from my stylesheets:

Code: Select all

#navigation div.drop{position:relative;border:0;border-top-color:transparent;border-radius:0;box-shadow:none}
[604] The "border" shorthand property and the "border-top-color" property have both been used. The "border" shorthand property already defines the following properties: "border-style", "border-top-color", and "border-width". Therefore, the "border-top-color" property has been defined twice. Consider using only the "border" shorthand property.
But ideally the message should indicate that since a value of zero was used, any subsequent properties will be ignored and should be removed. I would think this would apply to lots of other circumstances, just not sure of how much code changes would be involved.

My reasoning is I see messages all the time that indicate something was defined more than once and ignore them because you haven't coded for them yet.

Support for legacy browsers:

.navpay #navpay a{background:#1e2d54;background:linear-gradient(to bottom,#3f4e73 0,#000f37 35%,#000f37 100%)}
I know this used to be an issue, but maybe you've fixed it:

.search_button:hover,.search_button:focus{border:1px solid #89a4d2;border-width:0 1px}
But maybe once the legacy background is taken care of, the [604] above is just fine as-is?
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Unneeded css

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

Yes, staying warm. We'll be getting some arctic air on Sunday and the temps are suppose to get down into the teens. I'm in Texas so that's pretty darn cold for us. I don't think I can comprehend how cold -15 and below would be... that is just insane to me! When I look at the temperature map and see all or almost all of Canada covered with that frigid arctic air then I wonder how they can live up there.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am making some improvements to the messages based on them. For example, when 'border' and 'border-width' are both used, but 'border-width' has more than one value, then it won't generate the message about 'border-width' being defined twice.

I'll also see if I can suppress the message when defining 'background' twice when it uses a function.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Thanks Albert,

To give you an indication how cold that is, when you step outside at -20°, the cold air makes you cough and you can feel your nose hairs start to freeze. IF you're outside for very long, you get frost in your moustache (assuming you have one).

My indicator for "it's darn cold out" is when I step outside and feel a draft and check to see if my fly is open... and it isn't. :D
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:My indicator for "it's darn cold out" is when I step outside and feel a draft and check to see if my fly is open... and it isn't. :D
:lol: :D :lol: :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Interesting contrast. We just had the warmest December night recorded in Sydney. Previous record was set in 1868!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:Interesting contrast. We just had the warmest December night recorded in Sydney. Previous record was set in 1868!
Wow! Staying off-topic here.... in the DFW area (Texas) where I am, we just hot the hottest October and November on record, although December is shaping up to be more normal with some arctic air getting in here.