FireFox Plug-in Issue: No validation.

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
jbottero
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by jbottero »

Lou wrote:No the plug-in is not stand-alone. The write-up says "Requires CSE HTML Validator for Windows."
Than I was on crack several months ago when I installed the FireFox plug-in and validation worked just fine?

Sorry to be a smartass about it, but *point of fact* I installed the plug-in *only* about 6 months ago, and it validated fine. Before you ask, I really can tell the difference between installing a plug-in and an application...

So when you say to get the plug-in to work, I have to install the full application, well it makes me wonder if there is an almost identical plug-in from a different author that works without installing a full application...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

As Lou said, I would recommend you uncheck the Automatic Validation option in the add-on. I suspect that Firefox may be using the DLL in an unsafe way that may cause problems especially if there are simultaneous validations which there are more likely to be if Automatic Validation is on.

If you don't want to see the progress bar, you can go into the Validator Engine Options and check Never show progress bar in the General tab.

Also as Lou said, the add-on is not standalone, it requires a DLL that is included when CSE HTML Validator is installed.

I will try emailing the author of the add-on but he is often difficult to get a hold of. I wish I had more control over this add-on but unfortunately I do not.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
jbottero
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by jbottero »

Albert Wiersch wrote:I will try emailing the author of the add-on but he is often difficult to get a hold of. I wish I had more control over this add-on but unfortunately I do not.
Thanks, I'll try these suggestions...

But I still think it's odd that in the past I had the plug-in working fine and had *never* installed the full version, yet you say that can't be so. Odd...

Oh well... It's a nice product and I'll probably end up buying the full version...
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

jbottero wrote:But I still think it's odd that in the past I had the plug-in working fine and had *never* installed the full version, yet you say that can't be so. Odd...
It works with the lite edition as well so if you installed that then it will work. Maybe you don't consider that the "full" version though (hence the confusion). The add-on definitely does require the lite, standard, or pro edition to work.

I'm glad you like the product!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
jbottero
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by jbottero »

Nope, this is the first time I've installed the full ("lite") version. In the past I only installed the FF plug-in the way all plug-ins are installed (through the FF install GUI)...

But it's your application, I'll have to take your word for it!
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've found a cause for the validator failing to fire.

It's interaction with another addon in Firefox.

I switched off the other addons (IDM, Firebug, DOM inspector, interclue and Web Developer) and all tested pages now fire the validator.

jbottero, you might like to check that out.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Post by CaryD »

jbottero wrote:So when you say to get the plug-in to work, I have to install the full application, well it makes me wonder if there is an almost identical plug-in from a different author that works without installing a full application...
Well, sort of, but you might not have known that it includes a full application if you weren't aware of its 2MB file size.