Link checking goes berserk

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
kgish
Rank I - Novice

Link checking goes berserk

Post by kgish »

While validating a web page with many internal links, I soon noticed that my web server slowly but surely became unreachable.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that CSE was going wild with link checking, thereby flooding my poor apache setup with tons of GET-requests, whereby my server started swapping wildly.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to set a (configurable) limit on the number of outstanding link checks before continuing with the others.

Curious what you think.
"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal, Pensées
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Link checking goes berserk

Post by Albert Wiersch »

kgish wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to set a (configurable) limit on the number of outstanding link checks before continuing with the others.

Curious what you think.
Hello,

You can set the maximum number of simultaneous link check requests in the Network tab of the Validator Engine Options. I think that will do what you want and slow down the link check. :-)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
kgish
Rank I - Novice

Post by kgish »

Yeps, that did the trick thanks. I guess I should have looked better. But is there a way to turn it off completely?
"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal, Pensées
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

kgish wrote:Yeps, that did the trick thanks. I guess I should have looked better. But is there a way to turn it off completely?
Sure. You can turn off link checking in the Batch Wizard by unchecking the Enable link checking option in the Links tab of the Batch Wizard Options.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
kgish
Rank I - Novice

Post by kgish »

Yes, but if this is disabled in the batch wizard, does that mean it is also disabled in the regular validations also?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

kgish wrote:Yes, but if this is disabled in the batch wizard, does that mean it is also disabled in the regular validations also?
No. That is a different setting (in the Editor Options). Or you can manually control the editor link checking by turning off the auto-link checking option when you validate a document in the editor. You can then press the Check Links button to check the links in the Links tab of the Results Window to check the links only when you want to.