Why only one message

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
Martin
Rank II - Novice

Why only one message

Post by Martin »

In my page I have two references to external javascript files.

Both these references look like this
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="file.js"></script>

One of these links is placed between the head tags, the other one between the body tags.

CSE warns me that I am better of not not to explicitly set language="JavaScript1.2" for the first link (the one between the head tags) but not for the other one.

Is there a reason for this? Why doens't it warn me for both? Is this a technical issue?

Regards,

Martin
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I apologize for the delay in responding. I was on vacation until May 9th.

That message is displayed only once for the first time "JavaScript1.2" is used. That's why you are seeing it only once. I've added this to the message in the next version to help with the confusion: "This message is displayed only once when "JavaScript1.2" is first used."

The reason for this is that one message is good enough to let the developer know about the issue with using "JavaScript1.2". I did not want CSE to generate too many "unnecessary" errors or warnings when only one is sufficient.

If you remove "JavaScript1.2" in the first instance, then CSE should point out the second instance when you revalidate the document.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial