Anyone heard an "official" date for XHTML2?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Pickwick
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Anyone heard an "official" date for XHTML2?

Post by Pickwick »

These dates have a tendency to slip past me quite often. I teach at a technical college and am trying to plan for the year ahead. My suspicion is that XHTML2 will be the official standard by next June, but that’s a guess.

Any better information than that will be appreciated.
paulp575
Rank IV - Intermediate

Re: Anyone heard an "official" date for XHTML2?

Post by paulp575 »

Pickwick wrote:These dates have a tendency to slip past me quite often. I teach at a technical college and am trying to plan for the year ahead. My suspicion is that XHTML2 will be the official standard by next June, but that’s a guess.

Any better information than that will be appreciated.
Here's the web page from W3C that most likely will let you know when XHTML 2.0 becomes the standard:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

While browsing this page, I noticed it said something about XHTML 2.0 not being backward compatible!!! Since I do not use XHTML, I'm not sure what this means or the impact of this!

Hope this helps,
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

XHTML 1.x transitional looks sensible to me.

Last time I checked XHTML 2, looked like it would die. I thought it was like the result of people getting carried away with "religious" ideas and contained silly decisions.
epicure
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by epicure »

MikeGale wrote:XHTML 1.x transitional looks sensible to me.

Last time I checked XHTML 2, looked like it would die. I thought it was like the result of people getting carried away with "religious" ideas and contained silly decisions.
Proper full support for XHTML 1.x is what we need before getting cariied away with a version 2...
"Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."
Dwight_Stegall
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Same Here

Post by Dwight_Stegall »

This exactly how I felt about XHTML 1.0 Strict. It's so strict you can't do anything fun in it. I use Transitional. I'm lost without my targets. :)
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I'm sensing a direction this will all go.

I also find transitional 1 makes most sense. I have noticed a fairly large amount of content marked as 1 strict, but on analysis it is not even valid 1 transitional. It's not uncommon to find tag soup in there.

Gives you an insight into the people creating markup, doesn't it!

The W3C seems to have run out of steam and maybe even run out of fuel.

In it's place I see the HTML5/XHTML5 design. This just looks good and right, without the plain weirdness of various decisions in the other designs. I'm hoping that within a few years, 5 probably in the XHTML version will start to become dominant.

In the meantime XHTML 1 Transitional is my choice.