Resized graphics to fit website

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Cheyenne
Rank III - Intermediate

Resized graphics to fit website

Post by Cheyenne »

When I put a new graphic on my website, I make the size of the graphic on the webpage to be a size that makes my website look neat and clean.

The size of that graphic in my folder is bigger. I choose this way of doing my page because some of the graphics look better when used if they are the bigger size.

The Validator won't validate because of the discrepancy of sizes. Tells me that I need to resize to the original in my folder.

Two reasons I don't want to do this. One, I want my page to look neat and clean. Second, the graphic looks better when it's larger.

Any thoughts?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

My thoughts on the subject:

1. I think it's best (for download speed and bandwidth purposes) to use properly sized graphics. Pages will render faster due to faster downloads and not having to resize an image).

2. Browser resizing of graphics will usually not look as good as if you do it yourself in a decent graphics program. Graphics will render better.

3. If you still want to do this, then you can disable that check. You can disable flag 117 in the Validator Engine Options to disable the image dimension checking.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial