Explorer slow when HTMLValidator is active

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
Ron
Rank I - Novice

Explorer slow when HTMLValidator is active

Post by Ron »

Hi,

I just purchased the 6.53 Standard version of HTMLValidator and I am quite impressed.

At the moment I do have some minor problems:
1) (when HTMValidator is open for editing a file) if I click on an HTML file in Windows Explorer, it takes at least 5 seconds before the file opens in Internet Explorer. As soon as I close HTMLValidator, opening HTML files is fast again.
Is this some kind of setting that I can change?

2) (when HTMLValidator is open for editing a file) if I change the size of the font in the Editor settings, navigation through the open file is messed up. F.i. it is not possible to navigate to the end of a line anymore.

I also had an access violation, but I cannot reproduce it.

Thanks for the great product!

Ron
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Explorer slow when HTMLValidator is active

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Ron wrote:Hi,

I just purchased the 6.53 Standard version of HTMLValidator and I am quite impressed.

At the moment I do have some minor problems:
1) (when HTMValidator is open for editing a file) if I click on an HTML file in Windows Explorer, it takes at least 5 seconds before the file opens in Internet Explorer. As soon as I close HTMLValidator, opening HTML files is fast again.
Is this some kind of setting that I can change?

2) (when HTMLValidator is open for editing a file) if I change the size of the font in the Editor settings, navigation through the open file is messed up. F.i. it is not possible to navigate to the end of a line anymore.
Hi Ron,

I'm glad you like the program.

1) Sorry, I do not know what could cause this. The only thing I can think of is that you may be "low" on memory. CSE HTML Validator likes a lot of memory. If you don't have enough RAM, then it can slow your system down when you run programs that use a lot of RAM. If you're running XP, then I recommend at least 512MB, but this is heavily dependent upon what you do on your computer and how many programs you have opened at one time.

2) Can you give me more detail on this? What font and size are you using? What happens when you reboot? Does the problem still occur?

Thank you.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Ron
Rank I - Novice

Post by Ron »

Hi Albert,

Thanks for the quick response.

About the slow start of Internet Explorer.
My machine has 1.5GB of memory and it is a 3.2GHz machine, so I don't think that memory is a problem here.
I did some more investigations and noticed the following. If I don't have any files open, then starting an HTML file is not slow. If I have a CSS file open neither. I also noticed that starting up is extremely slow when I have a specific file open.

About changing font size. The problem is over after restarting HTMLValidator. So it is not a big thing.

Thanks,

Ron
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Ron wrote:Hi Albert,

Thanks for the quick response.

About the slow start of Internet Explorer.
My machine has 1.5GB of memory and it is a 3.2GHz machine, so I don't think that memory is a problem here.
I did some more investigations and noticed the following. If I don't have any files open, then starting an HTML file is not slow. If I have a CSS file open neither. I also noticed that starting up is extremely slow when I have a specific file open.

About changing font size. The problem is over after restarting HTMLValidator. So it is not a big thing.
Sorry, I don't know why having that specific file open would make IE start slow (assuming you mean you have it open in CSE). I do not think it could have anything to do with CSE itself. You should have plenty of memory and processor speed. But... if you have that file open in a browser, whether in CSE's integrated browser or not, and it has some JavaScript code or performs some other CPU intensive activity, then it is possible that could be the cause.

I'm glad the font size problem is gone. Thanks for letting me know.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial