Forum 'Save' button

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Forum 'Save' button

Post by MikeGale »

I put another post here but fell prey to that Save button on the editor. Ended up destroying it.

Can that Save button be moved out of the way? Say to the far right so that it doesn't get inadvertently used. (I don't remember it from the last version of this software.)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Google and Bing and poor HTML

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:I put another post here but fell prey to that Save button on the editor. Ended up destroying it.

Can that Save button be moved out of the way? Say to the far right so that it doesn't get inadvertently used. (I don't remember it from the last version of this software.)
I didn't even notice that new feature. It looks like it saves your message in User Control Panel->Overview tab->Manage drafts. Have you looked there for it? Looks like you can bring it back by clicking the "Load draft" link or maybe even by replying and clicking the "Load" button.

Moving the "Load" and "Save" buttons away sounds like a good idea. I may do that if it becomes a bigger problem or if I find some extra time. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Forum 'Save' button

Post by MikeGale »

Yes I looked there.

The save has an "are you sure" message. I navigated back from there found a blank text box and no way to recover. (I just tried it again, hitting No (to the "are you sure" message) does in fact retrieve the text.)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:I navigated back from there found a blank text box and no way to recover. (I just tried it again, hitting No (to the "are you sure" message) does in fact retrieve the text.)
That's strange. I hit 'Save' and then navigated back and my text was still there. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've just retested in IE 8.

Nothing in the editing area when I got back.

So I also tested in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera. In all of those it worked.

Very curious. I wonder if it's a setting somewhere?

Regardless, the button does seem out of place.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:Very curious. I wonder if it's a setting somewhere?
Yes, I wonder too. I think I've had IE annoying lose my form data before too when I navigated back to a page (security issue?). That's one of the reasons I use Firefox... that and the Adblock Plus add-on.
MikeGale wrote:Regardless, the button does seem out of place.
I agree it would be better if it were separated from the other buttons... but I dout you'll make the same mistake again. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've tried to get some more detail on this.

I ran a Virtual Machine with the RTW (Release To Web) version of IE 8 installed on it. The VM runs as XP SP 3. That also had the problem.

(I gave IETester a shot. It's still Alpha software so I wasn't too surprised when it couldn't log in successfully (i.e testing was impossible). If this had run I would have seen how IE 5.5, 6 and 7 behave.)

Thanks for putting this in it's own thread where it belongs.