HomeSite integration

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
activeweb
Rank 0 - Newcomer

HomeSite integration

Post by activeweb »

TopStyle 3.5 integrated with my favourite HTML editor HomeSite. Please continue this feature in TopStyle 4. There seems to be no provision for that - please correct me if I'm wrong.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: HomeSite integration

Post by TopStyle Support »

HomeSite integration has been deprecated.

Because HomeSite integration was based upon TopStyle Lite, and because there is no TopStyle 4 Lite, consequently there is no HomeSite integration with TopStyle 4.
activeweb
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by activeweb »

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your reply. However, I'd like to know what your credentials are: are you a software developer working on TopStyle or are you part of the company.

If what you state is correct, I would be most dissappointed to have spent $30 and have one of the important features of the software (for me, anyway) removed without warning. There must be at least a workaround to this and I would like to find out.

If anyone from the company is monitoring this board, please respond.

Thanks
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

My credentials? I'm the new owner/author of the product.

HomeSite integration has been deprecated because
1. TopStyle itself does (X)HTML editing too
2. HomeSite has been discontinued by Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/homesite)
3. HomeSite integration was built upon the TopStyle Lite version, and there is no TopStyle Lite version anymore.

Thanks, Stefan.

P.S. TopStyle 4 does integrate with Dreamweaver, the successor to HomeSite.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks Stefan for bringing that Adobe announcement to my attention.

Both Adobe and Macromedia have been derelict with Homesite.

I have always had respect for Homesite but thought Dreamweaver weak from it's earliest public betas.

The people whose hands this product fell into demonstrate the damage that morons can do.

One of the most annoying things was that Homesite had utf-8 support a long time ago and poor development at Macromedia partly broke that when an "upgrade" introduced some oddities.
Last edited by MikeGale on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

I agree it is regrettable HomeSite is gone. However, we have to be realistic. There's an end to the lifecycle of every product out there, including HomeSite. By the way, HomeSite isn't the first ex-Macromedia product that has been discontinued by Adobe (did someone say "Authorware"?)
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Or Font Chameleon!
caldia
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by caldia »

I agree with the comments here. Have used Homesite and TopStyle for 8+ years and now discover that the two are incompatible.

There is still no better on the fly editor than HS and the lack of integration is a total bummer.

True---it just means opening the file separately - but still, BOO on TS for not including something so freaking simple.

I wonder how many of your paying clients are old Homesite users....I mean---we put you on the friggin map and you pooped on us with this one.

Bad form.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

I did not poop on anyone. It was Adobe who deprecated HomeSite, not me.

It is not "freaking simple". As a matter of fact, HomeSite integration was consuming an extra amount of engineering efforts because we had to keep the Lite version in the air for this to happen, which basically means maintaining two applications.

Anyway, I believe I have said and explained everything there is to say and explain about this.

Thank you for your colorful language.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I'm not sure what some users are after here.

Topstyle can essentially do what Homesite did, and it was the Lite version that had integration. Do they want other users to subsidise development for the free version? (If you guys are not after a free ride, secure some capital to fund what you want then make an approach. Heck if you are serious how about trying to buy Homesite!)

A lot of people love Homesite. With a little work it would still be a significant force. Unfortunately it fell into hands that seemingly wanted to kill it. It's hard to let it go but chalk this one up to the evil guys.

Please don't make these attacks on Stefan and Topstyle. He is doing good.
Last edited by MikeGale on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clisair
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Clisair »

Ok, just need a bit of registry help, I know you do not do the tslite#.exe, but this is not about that, I can keep using my tslite3 for inline stuff, what I want to know is the regestry setting that I would need to change to make edit style sheet open in 4 instes of 3. If I have 4 already open, that command in Homesite 4.5 (yes a dino, but a well behaved and reliable dino) will open in 4 and not try and load 3.

So, if you could give us that one registry edit I believe that will take care of alot of peoples request for the integration of Homesite and Topstyle.
Dami
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Dami »

I have to agree with the other buyers. I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for Dreamweaver and had I known there was no HomeSite integration (which I've been using for about 12 years now), I wouldn't have purchased this upgrade. I think this is something you might want to put in your text somewhere. I'm pretty disappointed.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Adobe has deprecated HomeSite. It is time to move on.
gwmbox
Rank II - Novice

Post by gwmbox »

While I agree that HomeSite has been abandoned and we must 'move on', what I think you are dismissing is the fact about how great of an editor that HomeSite was, and in many cases still is.

I am not sure if you have ever been able to get hold of a copy of HomeSite and test it for yourself, but if you have I am sure you could get a lot out of it that you could then add into Topstyle. If you have not had a look at HomeSite yet, do you want me to send you a full working copy? For testing purposes only of course :)

I guess one needs to ask why has HomeSite remained such a good editor even after it has been abandoned, and not just dismiss it.

Just my 2 cents worth on the matter :)

Cheers

GW
 Old Homesite fan using Topstyle 5 - was happy, but now Topstyle is abandoned :(
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

gwmbox wrote:While I agree that HomeSite has been abandoned and we must 'move on', what I think you are dismissing is the fact about how great of an editor that HomeSite was
I'm not dismissing that fact. I believe HomeSite was great too. However, when TopStyle 4 was introduced I had to make a couple of decisions. One of them is: no more Lite version. And because HomeSite integration was based upon the Lite version, TopStyle 4 does not come with HomeSite integration.

Because TopStyle 4 is doing (X)HTML editing (and includes pretty much all of the HomeSite features now), my advice is to do your (X)HTML editing in TopStyle, or utilize the Dreamweaver integration.