Paste function broken in TopStyle 4

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
Carol
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Paste function broken in TopStyle 4

Post by Carol »

Please help! I can no longer copy and paste blocks of CSS code (or whatever I need to copy and paste) in TopStyle. I've used it for years, but all of a sudden something happened. I uninstalled, rebooted, and re-installed, and it worked again - for a short time. But now it doesn't work. I can copy and paste into another document without problem, but I can't paste back into TopStyle.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas about how I can fix this? Thanks in advance for your help,
Carol
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Paste function broken in TopStyle 4

Post by TopStyle Support »

I cannot seem to reproduce this. Do you happen to have reproducible steps?
Carol
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Carol »

Wish I could reproduce it, then I would know what not to do. Sigh. It's been working beautifully for years, I love the app. I think something is interfering with it and hoped that someone else had the problem. But it looks unique to my system.

If you have any suggestions as to how I could further troubleshoot, that would also be appreciated. I wonder if Carbonite could be stepping on something? I recently began using that service after a hard drive failure. I suppose I could uninstall Carbonite (but it took over a week to back up all my data...)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Carol
CrumbBucket
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by CrumbBucket »

Carol,

I used to have the same problem. Copy and Paste used to work fine for me in TopStyle, from any application. Then my system suddenly developed a problem whereby I could no longer copy and paste blocks of copy from certain graphic packages to TopStyle. (In my case, only the first letter of the clipboard text would paste back into TopStyle). The only workaround I found was to keep a copy of Notepad open, and to copy and paste from the external application into Notepad and then back into TopStyle. It's not ideal, but at least it saves you typing out the copy by hand.

By default, Windows systems these days tend to try and copy a lot more than just the text itself. There's often a lot of formatting information such as font-family, font-size, colour, and even things like indentation, that are copied to the clipboard. Not wanting to point fingers at my beloved editing software ;) but my feeling is that it's a bug with TopStyle not handling/interpreting extended information correctly, though it's also possible that it's a problem with the encoding layers between Windows and applications.

Recently I upgraded to the latest version of TopStyle (4.0.0.77) and the copying and pasting problem went away, which was strange (but very welcome).

One thing that could be worth trying is to download a clipboard manager to take over from the default Windows clipboard to see if that resolves the problem. Snapfiles has a good range of freeware clipboard managers available: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/syste ... poard.html

Regards,
CrumbBucket
Carol
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Carol »

Thanks for the reply CrumbBucket! I haven't experienced this in a while, and perhaps it's because I too upgraded. It's one of those things that, since I couldn't make it happen, I can't identify when/if it's fixed. But if it does happen again, I'll keep your Notepad solution in mind.

Best,
Carol