Are there standards about PDF links?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
ajtruckle
Rank II - Novice

Are there standards about PDF links?

Post by ajtruckle »

Hello

Are there any standards that tell you to incloude a PDF reader download link if you link to PDF files on your page?

I seem to recall one validation package bringing this up as an issue but I don't think CSE version does. I am not worried about it. I just wanted to know if there is a standard or not about this.

Thanks.

Andrew
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Re: Are there standards about PDF links?

Post by Lou »

Have you check the Adobe website for how to construct the link?

I would include a link to http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
ajtruckle
Rank II - Novice

Post by ajtruckle »

Hello

I actually provide two links:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

with relevant images. But your link seems better for adobe.

Andrew
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

For what it's worth, I much prefer the Foxit reader. Adobe just seems so bloated and a security risk. It's been quite awhile since I last used Adobe Reader.

I don't have any PDF's on my site, but if I did, I'd probably have a small link or graphic to the Foxit reader.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
ajtruckle
Rank II - Novice

Post by ajtruckle »

So there is no standard or expectation... and yes, I use Foxit too!
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

The fact that Adobe was taking years rather than months to fix vulnerabilities, and that it is bloatware make any download standard, problematical.

Do you really want to shoulder any of the blame if a visitor to your site has a malware attack through Acrobat?

What of the knowledgeable (or not so knowledgeable) user who has a very strong opinion that Adobe is evil or that Foxit should be wiped from the face of the earth?

It's a minefield.

Rather like the situation where a web site recommends a particular browser. Immediately marks the site as suspect in the minds of some visitors. (Or worse marks the developer as incompetent and unable to code for a range of browsers.)

One policy is just to keep away from promoting web access software.
ajtruckle
Rank II - Novice

Post by ajtruckle »

Hi

I am being given opinions here rather than a standard. The reason I asked was because I tried another validation program before I bought this one. That program flagged up my page for having PDF links and no links to a reader. This is ahy I thought it must be good practise to use a reader link. Now I don't like adobe reader because it is a large footprint and I prefer Foxit but it is not for me to be judge and it makes me just as bad as anyone else to shoehorn a customer to use a specific program. It is their choice. Thus I offer the two links.

I thank everyone for their comments on this but it is becoming for of a banter about Adobe and not what I was discussing. :D

Andrew
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Andrew,
To read the comments one would think you should offer you content in MicroSoft Word format.

For me your question did raise an interesting question and I am still looking for a good Adobe reference for the "download" button. No luck yet in and around other task.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
ajtruckle
Rank II - Novice

Post by ajtruckle »

I use these:
get_foxitreader.gif
get_foxitreader.gif (1.94 KiB) Viewed 11238 times
get_acrobat.gif
get_acrobat.gif (1.91 KiB) Viewed 11238 times
Andrew