Access Violation&Confusing Validation

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
valHtml
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Access Violation&Confusing Validation

Post by valHtml »

Hello Albert,

New to this forum.

I have been using HTML Validator(Lite) since November last year when i was just about to learn web programming with (x)html.

I didn't get any problem with the validator until March, or somewhere in April.
But, soon after that(until now), I always get an "Access Violation at..." problem.
Usually after 2 to 3 hours i use it, that message will pop-ups.

It might because of my "old" PC, so i'm not going to talk much about it here, just to let you know.

But, what do i want to ask you is why is the validation seems a bit different from what HTML Tidy does?

In fact i'm now using two validators on my pc, that's yours and the HTML Tidy itself.

Recently, i validated one of my xhtml document using HTML Tidy, and it was found to be valid, and i have also uploaded it to the W3C HTML Markup Validation page, and has also found to be valid xhtml.
But then, when i validated it using the CSE HTML Validator(Lite), it went invalid!
The error message displayed that my xhtml document contains 1 error and 2 additional warnings(that's only visible on CSE HTML Validator Std/Pro).

So, i wondered where was the mistakes that produce the error&warnings there...

Do you have any idea?
Do you think it might probably happened because of stylesheets(internal) i embedded into the document?
I mean something like this,
<p style="font-family: arial, verdana, tahoma; font-size: 12px; color:#000080; border: 1px solid #000000; padding: 1%">...</p>
...?

But if yes it is, then why does the W3C didn't "treat"ed it as invalid?...
I mean, i thought that your validator is based on the W3C (X)HTML Markup Recommendation... so that means when any (x)html document is found to be valid by the W3C (X)HTML Validator, then it should also be valid with your validator... or any other validators...

Thanks in advance! :wink:
~~ Validate your HTML 2Day! ~~
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

If you run into any access violations and can reproduce them, then please let me know what you did to cause the access violation. If I can reproduce it then it's probably with CSS HTML Validator and I should be able to fix it.

CSS HTML Validator uses a different validation engine than HTML Tidy and the W3C Validator. In fact, they're all different so the results may (and probably will) be different.

As you suggest, it could be CSS (the stylesheet you embedded) as CSS HTML Validator Home/Std/Pro checks CSS but HTML Tidy and the W3C HTML Validator does not. You can download a trial version of the professional edition and see what extra issues it comes up with. It not only checks CSS, but also many other potential problems so it might not be just a CSS issue.

If it passes the W3C Validator, then it doesn't mean that everything is OK. CSS HTML Validator can find many problems the W3C Validator can't. The W3C Validator is limited in what it can detect. See:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/w ... etter.html
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
valHtml
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Thanks!

Post by valHtml »

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm more than satisfied with your explanation.

I can't find the way to solve that "Access Violation" problem, as i don't know where it came from, and what brings it to happen.

Anyway, i think i'll need to concentrate more on external css rather than embeding it into my (x)html documents... :wink:

Thanks again&all the best to CSE HTML Validator(Lite/Std/Pro)!
[can't wait the next release of CSE HTML Validator(Lite)]...
~~ Validate your HTML 2Day! ~~