EPUB

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

EPUB

Post by roedygr »

In preparing EPUB eBook format files, I have read you might use the following DTDs.

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-9673008-1-9//DTD OEB 1.0.1 Document//EN"
"http://openebook.org/dtds/oeb-1.0.1/oebdoc1.dtd">

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<!DOCTYPE package PUBLIC "+//ISBN 0-9673008-1-9//DTD OEB 1.0.1 Package//EN"
"http://openebook.org/dtds/oeb-1.0.1/oebpkg1.dtd">

The URLs give a 404, so perhaps they have changed. Should HTMLvalidator include these DTDs, or include them in the master list?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: EPUB

Post by Albert Wiersch »

It may be possible to include these DTD files with CSE HTML Validator (and have special recognition for them) for use with nsgmls. Is this what you mean by including them in the "master list"? If so, then I can look into this for a future version - maybe even v10.01 (but I am unfamiliar with those DTDs).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I have had limited but unsatisfactory experience with ePub. I suspect unvalidated content is at the root of some of the problems.

There are forces trying to make the formats more popular.

I suspect that decent validation would be extremely valuable to the community that produce the content.

Beyond that there would be benefit for some if other DTD's could be used.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

If anyone would like to help me investigate EPUB support in CSE HTML Validator (using nsgmls), then please contact me at support at htmlvalidator dot com. It would be great if I could get someone's example EPUB documents to test.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've just had another look at ePub. I was considering generating such files programmatically. (Decided to do nothing at present. Though I'll keep an eye open to see where it goes.)

I noticed that:

1) There is an ePub 3 standard now (released October 11, 2011)

2) An HTML 5 related revision of the Kindle/Mobi format (an alternative to ePub) will be available on the Kindle Fire (Android based book reader with colour...) to be launched in a few days. It's apparently called KF8, though I didn't find a specification.

Thought that might be of interest.