Design tools

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Design tools

Post by Lou »

I almost feel like a hieratic but I need some advice/guidance about design tools.

For reference I'm a "mossback" software type. My first "hello world" program was saved on paper tape for a computer with drum memory - And it was state of the art. I have upgraded my hardware sense then, grudgingly using windows OS. Jumped on the CSE Validator when I found it (v 6 I think). This is an example of where I am on web design. I've been using Adobe PhotoShop to create some photo elements to past into my granddaughter's web page.

The problem: I'm working with a non-profit and made suggestions about how they could improve their web pages which are out of date among other things. Their relationship with the developer is not ideal. I think there answer is about to be 'OK your in charge, fix it.'

As you can see the current pages has been developed with Adobe GoLive and Front Page. I feel I will need to provide an order more glitz than what I have been doing. On the other hand the town does not have fiber optic, lots of folks use a town wide WiFi vis DSL. One of the board members has dial-up.

Suggestions? tools? books? guidance? Thanks.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
paross
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Design tools

Post by paross »

Turn it into a Wordpress site, the advantages are legion.

Phil - www.webproper.com
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Thanks for the suggestions Phil

However, the drawback I see to that approach is illustrated by the link you provided.

According to the W3C online validation website there are 18 Errors, 3 warning(s) in the first page of their website.

Just 2 simple examples of the problem with this type of design, IMHO are:

Code: Select all

<div id="title" class="">
         <a href="http://webproper.com/">WebProper.com</a>
     </div>
     <div id="description" class="">
The empty class tags. There were also <span> <p> nesting errors.

But thanks again for your suggestion.
Lou
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

While I haven't used WordPress, I don't know why they don't get those issues fixed, assuming they are native issues and not the result of any customizations.

Our validator also finds these and possibly other issues on www.webproper.com.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Sorry Albert, I didn't have a quick link to the online version of my favorite development/validation tool.

But the tools I've looked at in the year after starting this thread seem to be the same in this regard. Oh well,
Lou
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Lou wrote:Sorry Albert, I didn't have a quick link to the online version of my favorite development/validation tool.
No problem. Glad to hear it's your favorite. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial