How to check html syntax using DocType:strict

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

How to check html syntax using DocType:strict

Post by rag_gupta »

My sites are all using: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Before pasting into my CMS based sites I check the html code (without any html/body tags) with my cse v10.

If I'm checking an online web page I suppose CSE picksup the DocType from the page and does validation as per it.

But for my bits and pieces of html code how to I force it to use the strict DTD?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: How to check html syntax using DocType:strict

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay.

I think the best way to do this is to append the "start validation" program using the Configuration Editor. Try this:

* Press Ctrl+F5 in CSE HTML Validator to open the Configuration Editor
* Go to the Programs tab and select the Start validation program
* Add this to the end of the program:

Code: Select all

if isFlagSet(180) {
 MessageEx(13,2011071901,#MSG_COMMENT,'[180] Simulating a XHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE (if no DOCTYPE is encountered).');
 setValueInt(3,2+32+128);
}
else {
 MessageEx(13,2011071902,#MSG_COMMENT,'[180] DOCTYPE simulation off.');
}
* Finally, save your custom config file to a new filename and set the new config file to the default to use

That should simulate an XHTML 1.0 Strict document if there is no DOCTYPE. You can uncheck flag 180 to undo this behavior.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

I've done exactly the way you've specified but it isn't giving any error message for this html code:

<p> hello
Also I see in Validator Engine->Flags->180 is checked
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I'm sorry. It looks like more was needed than I first thought... please use this instead:

if isFlagSet(180) {
  MessageEx(13,2011071901,#MSG_COMMENT,'[180] Simulating a XHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE.');
  setValueInt(3,2+32+128);

activateCategory(33,1);
  setValueInt(3,32);

setFlag(1,65536,1);
  setFlag(1,64,1);
  setFlag(1,262144,1);
  setFlag(1,131072,1);
  setFlag(1,524288,1);
  setFlag(1,1,1);
  setFlag(1,4194304,1);
  setFlag(9,2,1);

setFlag(1,1048576,1);
  setValueString(1,"For better backward compatibility with HTML, a space character should precede the '/' character.");
}
else {
  MessageEx(13,2011071902,#MSG_COMMENT,'[180] DOCTYPE simulation off.');
}
I think that should work, however, encountering a real DOCTYPE will not change many of those options back to the default so you may need to toggle flag 180 back and forth when switching to & from XHTML or the validator may try to enforce some XHTML constraints on HTML documents.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

What are those options? I wish validation from typed code or from url should give same validation results.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

rag_gupta wrote:What are those options? I wish validation from typed code or from url should give same validation results.
This should help (includes comments):

setFlag(1,65536,1);    // CSEVALFLAG1XMLCOMPAT (65536)
 setFlag(1,64,1);       // CSEVALFLAG1REQUIREOPTIONALENDTAGS (64)
 setFlag(1,262144,1);   // CSEVALFLAG1REQUIREQUICKCLOSE (262144)
 setFlag(1,131072,1);   // CSEVALFLAG1REQUIREQUOTEDATTVALUES (131072)
 setFlag(1,524288,1);   // CSEVALFLAG1NOUPPERCASE (524288)
 setFlag(1,1,1);        // CSEVALFLAG1CHECKNESTING (1)
 setFlag(1,4194304,1);  // CSEVALFLAG1REQUIREATTVALUES (4194304)
 setFlag(9,2,1);        // CSEVALFLAG2MATCHATTVALUECASE (2)
 setFlag(1,1048576,1);  // CSEVALFLAG1XMLSPACEWARNING
You can pull those options out of the "if" statement and always execute the ones you want. A better way is to just set them in the Validator Engine Options under the various option pages (hopefully you can figure out what is what!), but you can override the options set in the Validator Engine Options with the setFlag() function in the start validation program.

By setting some options to be stricter, then you should be able to get more consistent results regardless of the DOCTYPE.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

After changing the configuration, CSE is showing me error one by one and not all at once!
Pl. see the attmt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

rag_gupta wrote:After changing the configuration, CSE is showing me error one by one and not all at once!
Pl. see the attmt.
Please enable the Message Window (View->Windows->Message) so you can see the full text of the messages. Some messages are displayed only once and will say so at the end. For example, the message in the screenshot should end in "This message is displayed only once.", so that is by design for that particular message.

The reason for that is that some people want to use that attribute ("target") anyway, because it still works, and don't want a bunch of those error messages as just one is more than enough to let them know about "target" not being valid.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

With 180 flag enabled I'm not able to understand the reason of an error. I'm attaching the html file and the snapshot.

This code is present in this web page which when I validated with W3C validator gave this message:
This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Please note that the error is with doctype strict and the web page is doctype Transitional.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

rag_gupta wrote:With 180 flag enabled I'm not able to understand the reason of an error. I'm attaching the html file and the snapshot.
Thanks. I loaded error.html into CSE HTML Validator and reproduced the error message but there was a "?" at the end of the "</div>" on line 34 (which is not shown in the screenshot). If I remove the "?" then the error goes away. Typo?
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

When I'm copy-pasting from cse to text editor then only this question mark(?) is appearing.
But when I checked the same content in the web page, CSE isn't complaining. Strange, I'll get back.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

rag_gupta wrote:When I'm copy-pasting from cse to text editor then only this question mark(?) is appearing.
But when I checked the same content in the web page, CSE isn't complaining. Strange, I'll get back.
OK, please let me know what you find out, especially if you think the "?" is being added by some issue with CSE HTML Validator. Thank you.