[JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint.

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
brettkan
Rank 0 - Newcomer

[JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint.

Post by brettkan »

CSE Pro v11.00 - Win 7 x64
[JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint. The output is empty or non-existent. Check the JSLint script and path in the Validator Engine Options. The path is currently set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator110\JSLint\jslint-for-wsh.js".

I get the above error, but the path is correct (at least there is a file called jslint-for-wsh.js there).

If I turn off jslint checking and run the batch tool, I still get the error - I dont even know what jslint is - so would be happy just not to get the error when it is turned off.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: [JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint.

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

JSLint is a JavaScript Linter that helps one write clean & "pretty" JavaScript. :D

If you don't want the Batch Wizard to check JavaScript files, then please check your target properties - the Follow Links tab specifically, and make sure that "js" documents are not followed. You can do this by removing the "JS" part of the "Extensions" option.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
brettkan
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by brettkan »

turned off - thanks
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice

Post by cmanvell »

I have had a similar problem. I keep getting the error

"[JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint. Error: 2006040600: loadFileEx() can't open file
---"

It seems to occur when I use the same method to validate (f6 or Validate button) 2 or more times. The file I am checking was fault free under version 10 but throws up so many errors under version 11 that the program gives up and reports "Too many errors".

Best,
Chris.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you send me the document that you are having this problem with? Please send it to support at htmlvalidator dot com.

You may want to turn off JSLint checking if you are having too many problems with it. You can do that in the Validator Engine Options.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the file. I could not reproduce the "can't open file" errors. I suspect this could be due to a security program you are running that is causing problems/issues with file access. Can you try disabling any security programs like anti-virus and anti-malware programs you are running and see if that helps?

I've added some code to the next update to make several attempts at opening the needed temp files, so maybe that will help with this issue. If osmething is temporarily locking or blocking the file, then waiting a little and trying again may help.

I suspect the new errors are due to JSLint which is new in v11. If you don't like the new JSLint messages, then you can turn off JSLint and turn back on JavaScript Lint which is still there in v11. JavaScript Lint was used in v10 as the default JavaScript linter. You can do this in the Validator Engine Options.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I get JSlint and Tidy errors when I view source from IE 9, I suspect permission errors trying to access my temporary internet folder.

[JSLint] An error occurred trying to run JSLint. Error: 2005052000: can't open inputfile "C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\7P7N3568\~cse_jobin94953076.IE5\7P7N3568\CheckFileBeforeSubmit[1]"; GetLastError() returned 3: "The system cannot find the path specified."

An error occurred trying to run HTML Tidy. Error: 2005052000: can't open inputfile "C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\7P7N3568\~cse_jobin94953076.IE5\7P7N3568\CheckFileBeforeSubmit[1]"; GetLastError() returned 3: "The system cannot find the path specified."

Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

I tried this in the latest v11 release version, also using Windows 7 x64 and didn't run into this issue. I think you are still using the public BETA. I did make some changes to get around this issue and those changes may not be in the v11 BETA you are using, so I would recommend upgrading to the release version if you can, and see if this problem still occurs.

Also, another thing you might want to try is disabling your anti-virus/anti-malware and see if that helps. I think those programs can place a temporary lock on the files that might be causing this problem. In the release version, it is designed to wait a bit then try to open the file again.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert.

Yes, I'm running Pro 11.00 beta 5.

I'm licensed for Pro 10. Out of curiosity, If I install 11 final will it complain or offer a 30 day trial? We're planning to buy it end of January anyway so no big deal and this is by no means a show stopper for me.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:I'm licensed for Pro 10. Out of curiosity, If I install 11 final will it complain or offer a 30 day trial? We're planning to buy it end of January anyway so no big deal and this is by no means a show stopper for me.
Hi Rick,

Yes, you can try the trial by installing it on top of your BETA 5 (into the same folder). It should give you 30 days and 200 validations unless you've had the v11 trial on there before. In any case, if it doesn't work, you should be able to re-install BETA 5 on top of the trial and go back to the free BETA.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I've seen a similar message for HTML Tidy:

Code: Select all

An error occurred trying to run HTML Tidy. Error: 2005052000: can't open inputfile "C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\4W78387Y\~cse_jobin167108504.IE5\4W78387Y\calendar[1]"; GetLastError() returned 3: "The system cannot find the path specified."
---
It appears to me CSE is trying to create a temp file with the temporary internet files, which I could see it should have permission issues.

BTW, the path to this file above is wrong. (drop this: \~cse_jobin167108504.IE5\4W78387Y). It should be:

C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\4W78387Y\calendar[1]

This path is similar to the one I posted above, related to that beta. this part is the same: \~cse_jobin167108504.IE5\4W78387Y
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the report.

Are you able to reproduce this? If so, then can you tell me how?
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

Sorry, I left out an important part. It only happens when viewing source from IE and has been doing this for some time now.

I suspect it started in 2011 (as you can see from my previous post). I'm running IE10 from Win7 x64.

Using IE DEV tools, I have IE source viewer set to: C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator120\cse120.exe

I saw no reference to that path in the registry and looked in the CSE section in the registry and also CSE's config files.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Nothing useful in my HTML Tidy profile:

Profile name: Tab Correction

Profile hint: Use tab-size 1 to correct character locations.

Profile args: --tab-size 1
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

CSE HTML Validator tries to write the temp files in the same folder as the source file, so I suppose this would be expected if the source file is not in a writable directory.

I'll check into the path and see if it's using/calculating the right path - since you mentioned the path was wrong.

For the next major release, I'll consider a different method when deciding where to place certain temp files.