mailto generating BAD - DNS A HREF errors

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
kennedyrt
Rank II - Novice

mailto generating BAD - DNS A HREF errors

Post by kennedyrt »

When checking the entire website http://www.dmhs.org/, all <a> tags that contain a "mailto:" address are generating the following error:

Example: mailto:info@dmhs.org BAD - DNS A HREF - DNS problem with "dmhs.org" (9003: DNS name does not exist)

The domains do exist and are functioning properly.

I am using CSE HTML Validator Professional v10.02 - 32 bit Editor v10.0211 (pro); Engine DLL v10.0211 (Pro) under Windows 7 Enterprise.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: mailto generating BAD - DNS A HREF errors

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I cannot reproduce this as it comes up OK for me. It could be a temporary DNS issue or some kind of "fluke". You might want to clear your link cache and try re-checking or just exit and reload CSE HTML Validator.

If this doesn't help, then please let me know. You may want to try other email addresses, like our support email address - support at htmlvalidator dot com. I wonder if it could also be do to specific settings on your machine? Like a custom "hosts" file?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Daniel Lacroix
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by Daniel Lacroix »

Hi Albert,

We have moved to a new network infrastructure and I have less permissions ... browsing web sites is limited.

I am still able to check the internal and external links correctly but not the mailto's.

Here is the error I am now getting:
DNS problem with "tbs-sct.gc.ca" (9501: No records found for given DNS query)

This is our own DNS!

Would you be able to describe how the mailto's are checked so that I could ask for more privileges.
Do I need a specific port open?, etc.

Thanks.

Daniel.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Daniel,

For mailto's, CSE HTML Validator uses DnsQuery():
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Something like this:
DnsQuery_W(domainname,DNS_TYPE_MX,DNS_QUERY_STANDARD,NULL,&dnsrecord,NULL);

If you can't get it to work, then you can try disabling DNS record checking in the Link Checking options of the Validator Engine Options.

I hope this helps.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Daniel Lacroix
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by Daniel Lacroix »

Thanks Albert.

Daniel.