Links reported as incorrect case when they are OK

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
Post Reply
Tode
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm
Location: London

Links reported as incorrect case when they are OK

Post by Tode » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:37 pm

I have started used CSE Standard today. When I first started it worked OK. It reported all except one of my (local) links as correct but one as incorrect case (which it was.)

But now it is showing every one of my local links as having incorrect case although they are correct. I'm on Windows XP.

Tode

Tode
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm
Location: London

Post by Tode » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:49 pm

Sorry to reply to my own post but I have some more diagnostic information.

(1) The site with the links that caused the trouble is not on my own PC but is on another PC on my local network.

(2) The incorrect behaviour persisted after a restart of my PC.

(3)However looking at a site on my own PC it worked OK, and then after that it worked OK on the other site as well.

Odd eh?
Tode

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3446
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:30 pm

Yes, it sounds strange, but there must be an explanation. :-)

If you can give me the steps to reproduce it, then I can see if I can reproduce it here and determine exactly what is happening.

Also, you can turn off case sensitive link checking (which only works for local file links, by the way). You may want to turn this feature off if using a Windows based server since link case doesn't matter. To do this, uncheck the Case sensitive link checking option in the Network tab in Options->Validator Engine Options.
Image
Albert Wiersch

Tode
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm
Location: London

Post by Tode » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:47 am

Hi, thanks for quick response.

It's doing it again today!
The steps are: close CSE validator with files open on another machine on LAN (last night).
Re-open CSE (this morning): it connects to LAN to get shell information and re-opens files, but this time, after validating, the links are shown with incorrect case.
Close all files.
Change CSE directory to look at a folder on the local machine, open a file and check links. They show as OK.
Change directory back to the other PC on the network, and check a file. Links now show as OK!

I am running Windows XP, the other PC is Windows 98. I wonder whether somehow it could be looking at DOS filenames.

Tode

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3446
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything about this one. I suspect it is an issue with accessing the files through the LAN. Perhaps a limitation in the network since Windows really wasn't designed to be case-sensitive.

By the way, I did try to reproduce this by accessing a document over the LAN from a Windows Me computer. It worked correctly when I tried it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with this.
Image
Albert Wiersch

Tode
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm
Location: London

Post by Tode » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:30 am

I've found that all it takes to cure it is to access a file on the local machine. After that, going back to the LAN works OK, in the same session. Anyway it happens only when the program starts up with a file open over the LAN. So I can live with it now I know what is going on.
Thanks
Tode

Post Reply