Unexplained Error about INPUT

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
articles
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Unexplained Error about INPUT

Post by articles » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:15 pm

During my test run of the CSE Validator system (the free site), I get these errors that do not make sense.

Error 89 The end tag for "input" was found, but "input" was never opened, has been ended too many times, or cannot have an end tag.

<input type="hidden" name="domains" value="www.ProfitMaxTrading.com"></input>

You can see these by running my site http://www.profitmaxtrading.com

The lines of code it flags are those provided by Google for Adwords. I can't see anything at all wrong with the code. Each <INPUT...> ends with </INPUT>. What is wrong with that?

I'd like to get the full version of this software. However, I'm puzzled by its output.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks.
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi Rick,

It is best that "input" not have an end tag. Simply remove the end tag or in XHTML, use this format instead: <input ... />. This is because the HTML 4.01 specs say that it is forbidden for "input" to have an end tag:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/f ... edef-INPUT
Albert Wiersch

articles
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by articles » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:13 pm

Thanks Albert.

I had no idea that INPUT did not require the /INPUT end tag. Wonder why Google uses it.

Appreciate.

:D

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:39 pm

articles wrote:I had no idea that INPUT did not require the /INPUT end tag. Wonder why Google uses it. Appreciate. :D
You're welcome. Lots of big companies don't output HTML that can pass syntax checks!
Albert Wiersch

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:36 pm

If you have a look around at big name sites using something like CSE, you might be amazed at what you see.

I think it unfair to draw the conclusion that big company = sloppy work and cluelessness but some of these guys are not helping to squelch that idea.

It also means that most web content is beyond the reach of automated processing, unless you do some extra work on it first. (Another view is that the standards are imperfect, which is also true.)

No wonder there are developments aimed at dumping HTML/XHTML...

articles
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by articles » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Just wondering.

Does this program do anything more than what DreamWeaver 8 does. I noted in my Dreamweaver that it also caught the INPUT issue as well as the others. Would it be safe to say that CSE HTML is more for those who do not have Dreamweaver, and of course isn't going to get it for validating since CSE is much less expensive?

Or is there something else?

Thanks.

PS: In case you are wondering, I'm still learning. I didn't know my Dreamweaver did this and agreed with CSE on the errors until yesterday.

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:22 pm

What development tools you use is a matter of taste and preferences.

I use several tools for XHTML development. I've always found that the WYSIWYG tools do an unacceptable job of writing code. Some might find them acceptable for prototyping but I don't consider them for serious production work.

I count Dreamweaver among the WYSIWYG tools, I've looked at it a few time (including when it first started) and have not found a reason to change my mind. (Not sure how the Adobe buyout of Macromedia will impact it all!!)

I find CSE a particularly powerful tool for validating XHTML/HTML/CSS.

If you're concerned about validation I suggest you run checks on a few sites that you think worthwhile. Compare what the different tools give you.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:40 am

CSE HTML Validator ALPHA/BETA v8.0 (not yet available) will now generate this warning for "input" end tags in XHTML documents:
For maximum backward compatibility, empty HTML elements like "input" should not have end tags. For better compatibility and standards compliance, it is recommended that this end tag be removed and the minimized tag syntax for empty elements be used instead by adding a space and then a forward slash ("/") to the end of the start tag (<input />, or, if there are attributes, <input ...attributes... />).

when this HTML is used

Code: Select all

<input type="hidden" name="domains" value="www.ProfitMaxTrading.com"></input>
For HTML documents, this warning will be generated:
For maximum backward compatibility, empty HTML elements like "input" should not have end tags. Because this is an HTML and not an XHTML document, this end tag should be removed.
Albert Wiersch