Multiple problems when using html preview

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Multiple problems when using html preview

Post by TopStyle Support »

SteelToad wrote:This would be a really nice option to have (eventually). It would be especially useful when editing a live site, being able to play with different settings without the file having to be updated on the server for everyone else to see.
This is why you should use Preview Files for your CSS preview. TopStyle will apply your CSS to the HTML being preview'ed without the need to constantly save the CSS again and again.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

SteelToad wrote: Because the css might affect multiple html files that I'm editing at the same time. It's easier to just tab switch to inspect how the css affects the different pages
Adding those different HTML pages to the Preview Files and then switching between them while you're editing your CSS doc (without the need to activate another document tab) really is the way to go. It prevents you from saving your CSS doc again and again.
SteelToad
Rank I - Novice

Post by SteelToad »

Adding the preview files for each project is work even though it can be partially automated, selecting preview files is work, selecting tabs is a single mouse click.

My threshold for defining 'work' is admittedly low :)

If I'm working on a few different things at once, I don't want to have to read the list and determine which index.html to use.
JoeB
Rank II - Novice

Post by JoeB »

Hi-

I still cannot get sync to work

I am using chrome as the browser, i change something in the html editor, go to a different line and the preview doesn't jump anywhere. Nothing happens?

Sync preview with editor is enabled.

If i click SAVE, the preview refreshes, but doesn't jump to where im editing?

V5.0.0.92
JoeB
Rank II - Novice

Post by JoeB »

Bump. Is anyone else seeing this issue?
denyerec
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by denyerec »

For me the HTML preview randomly steals the cursor on update, making the program unusable and frustrating, unless I turn off auto-update which is... less than idea for a "Realtime" CSS editor.

Having to resort to Firebug for live CSS editing until and update comes out unless anyone has a magic workaround?
JoeB
Rank II - Novice

Post by JoeB »

I got this too, i have also turned it off and it only updates on page save.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

@JoeB: I'm not seeing this problem. Can you please send me the HTML doc you're seeing this with, plus an export of your settings? (Options > Export Settings).

support AT topstyle 4 DOT com

Thanks!