Availability of IE10 on Win 7

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Availability of IE10 on Win 7

Post by MikeGale »

I guess this will change the dynamics of development and browser user experience a bit.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2013 ... esses.aspx

It's a general release of IE 10 to a wider audience.

Any comments about developing for it?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Availability of IE10 on Win 7

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Wow... that makes IE10 sound really good... but I guess that is the point. :D

I have to say that I am quite disappointed in Firefox when I installed it on a Dell XPS 12 Windows 8 machine with touch screen. For some reason, the browser tabs are like double the height they should be. I have no idea why, so I will be using Firefox less on it and IE10 and Chrome more, at least on the Dell machine. I did try to figure it out but couldn't find a quick & easy answer.

By developing for IE10, do you mean developing more HTML5 applications that, in theory, are suppose to work in other HTML5 browsers as well? I think that might become more common, but I think there's still also a significant problem with various browser bugs and varying levels of standards support, but I suppose that's improving.

I can't see someone developing only for IE10, at least for the general web audience.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Albert Wiersch wrote:I can't see someone developing only for IE10, at least for the general web audience.
Oh I look "forward" to that! I still run across professional websites with the caveat 'optimized for IEx'. I have one utility bill I most uses IE to pay.

Sometimes I think it's just lazy programming. Other times it looks like feeling the need to be on the bleeding edge. To bad nether has anything to do with the general web audience. I am always amazed at the number of older browsers I see in my logs.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Heck no, I wasn't thinking of developing exclusively for it, myself.

(That's unfortunately becoming quite common. I find sites that have features that work differently (including failing entirely) in different browsers.)

No I was wondering what other developers might have found when they develop and test with this browser as part of the mix.

I imagine that IE10 only development might have a real place for some people. I see web pages, sorry they're called apps, customised for different mobile devices. With Surface and Win 8... Given the more complete computing facilities offered, there may be genuine reasons to do that however. The world of apps has made fractured development a part of life for many! (Worth some thought maybe.)

On Firefox: I've recently had a number of freezes and failures from it. Completely dead, need to kill the process. On the other side they did fix a bug I reported recently. It was an old bug, previously fixed, then recreated for my delight! They did it silently without informing those who were interested, but they did take action.

Also beware of Adobe Flash updates. They now sneak in other code which they install without any opt in or any obvious UI element to stop it. A dangerous path they're on I think.

Also Opera is now no longer on it's own HTML engine. A pity that. I also found unwanted messing with setting of other programs with (what I think is) their first installer under the new code.