CISPA

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

CISPA

Post by MikeGale »

This may be of interest around here.

A grab for your data on the web. As I understand it: Nobody needs to ask special permission, they can take your data, share it around (presumably some might get to your competitors if they have the right friends), you never get told.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-join-todays ... 000014320/

PIPA, SOPA, ACTA now this... Will they ever stop?

Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon data might be much less secure. (I wonder how that impacts non US data centres?) Maybe time to look wider, if you want their services ...

Some suggested actions if you're concerned.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: CISPA

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I suspect they'll just keep trying until it finally gets passed and then there will be no going back.

If you really want to have "privacy" nowadays, then you can't live in modern society. :(

Though it does seem a bit exaggerated to call all this data "ours", unless they are referring to data we send them to store "on the cloud" or as online storage. In that case, one should make sure any data uploaded is always strongly encrypted... you never know whose hands it might get into.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: CISPA

Post by MikeGale »

I can imagine people with quotes like
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? ...I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. ... You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: ... my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

... you need me on that wall. ... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. ...
up on their office walls. The guys who run the fusion centres and the "Utah data center" at Bluffdale maybe!

There is some justification in that quote and also the opportunity for great evil. (For example what do all the people of South Carolina (individuals and businesses) think about the probability that their tax records are in the hands of international criminals, courtesy of those who "safeguard" them?)