Integrated HTML Editor Syntax Color Settings

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
richard.crist
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Integrated HTML Editor Syntax Color Settings

Post by richard.crist »

I have searched and have not found an answer to my question so here it is. When you have syntax highlighting enabled both in general and for a specific parser type you can see in the integrated editor that the various parts of the text are highlighted (obviously).

Is there a way to specify what colors are used for a given parser syntax language rule? I like to have a black background in my editor and the default HTML editor color is black text, which is not a good combination.

Also, is there a way to customize the word list for a given parser syntax language rule so that I can add/delete/change words in a given color bracket?

I can do all the above in UEStudio and I would like to make the CSE HTML Validator integrated editor look the same.

Thanks for any help on this, and I hope that it is not a stupid question. :P
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Richard,

Of course it is not a stupid question.

Unfortunately CSE HTML Validator doesn't "officially" support changing parser colors and configuring the parser with new words. However, if you want to "play" with the parser syntax highlighting configuration, take a look at the *.xs files in the "ParserRules" directory where you installed CSE HTML Validator.

I wish I could help you more with this, but the editor and syntax highlighting parser configuration files are written by a third party and are not well documented.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
richard.crist
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by richard.crist »

Albert,

Thank you! I did look at the *.xs files, the html.xs in particular. I see that the html.xs file identifies patterns used to match "words" with categories. If you could specify a color in the html.xs file then that would solve the problem (well..the desired user outcome). There are comments by an "Alfred" in the html.xs file. That wouldn't happen to be you, would it? :)

I also looked at the htmlvalV80.cfg file, but even after converting it from unicode it still didn't help me out.

If you know who I could talk to in order to find out about the colors I would appreciate it.

Thanks again! :D
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I editing that file a while ago - the comment says "Albert" not "Alfred".

Unfortunately I do not have good documentation about how to change these *.xs files, though I do not believe you can change or set colors with them.

The htmlvalV80.cfg file is a binary file that must be edited using the Configuration Editor in CSE HTML Validator Professional. It stores tag names and other items and not what you are wanting.

I am hoping to improve the editor in a future version but I'm not sure when that will be yet or even if it will be configurable as you wish. CSE HTML Validator is designed mainly to be a good HTML, XHTML, and CSS syntax checker so not as much time and resources are put into the editor features.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
richard.crist
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by richard.crist »

Sorry! It does say Albert...my mistake. :oops:

The validator really is the most important part. I have downloaded and installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL and the validator is really helping me learn web programming. After 18 years of everything but web programming the validator may be the thing I needed to help change my career!

Thank you for answering my question so quickly and keep up the good work! :)
karim32
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re:

Post by karim32 »

richard.crist wrote:Sorry! It does say Albert...my mistake. :oops:

The validator really is the most important part. I have downloaded and installed Apache, PHP, and MySQL and the validator is really helping me learn web programming. After 18 years of everything but web programming the validator may be the thing I needed to help change my career!

Thank you for answering my question so quickly and keep up the good work! :)
Could not agree more Richard, same case here. It helps a lot to understand quickly how it works ithout having to screen hundreds of search engines results about HTML!

Karim