Make browsers load v14 when choosing View Source

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
MikeK
Rank I - Novice

Make browsers load v14 when choosing View Source

Post by MikeK »

I have upgraded to v14.00 successfully but now cannot make IE11 or Firefox EU euballot - 1.1 find Validator 14.00 when I right click and select View Source on a web page.
I have selected 14.00 as the editor for IE11 and used about:config to select the correct path to v14.00 in Firefox.
Both of these have no effect whatever and IE and Firefox do not find v14.00 and just load their default editors.
I would appreciate your thoughts on how I can make these two browsers load v.14.00 when right clicking for View Source.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Make browsers load v14 when choosing View Source

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Have you tried the "Make Source Viewer in Internet Explorer" option in the Options->Editor Options->Internet Explorer page? If not, then please try that. You'll probably want to choose "Open in Editor" when asked, and you'll probably need to make sure you run CSE HTML Validator with administrator privileges so that it can make the registry changes otherwise you will probably get an error when you try to do this and the program doesn't have access to make the registry changes.

As for Firefox, you'll probably want to use "cmdlineprocessor.exe -o <filename>", where <filename> is the filename to open in CSE HTML Validator's editor. cmdlineprocessor.exe is in the folder where you installed CSE HTML Validator. I'm not exactly sure what entries you need to make in Firefox's about:config, but I can help with this if you need further help (if you already have a link that may help with this, then please also post it so I can refer to it as well).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeK
Rank I - Novice

Post by MikeK »

Hello,
Thank you for your prompt response.
Yes I have tried "Make Source Viewer in Internet Explorer" and selected CSE HTML Validatorv14.0 from the drop down box as the program to use as the HTML editor but it still loads Notepad instead of CSE Validator.
I have also tried cmdlineprocessor.exe instead of cse140.exe in Firefox but it still loads the Firefox default editor not CSE Validator.
It is really odd that IE11 and Firefox were able to load v12 but no matter what I do they will not load v14.
I look forward to any other thoughts you might have on the problem.
Regards
Mike
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeK wrote:Yes I have tried "Make Source Viewer in Internet Explorer" and selected CSE HTML Validatorv14.0 from the drop down box as the program to use as the HTML editor but it still loads Notepad instead of CSE Validator.
I got it to work but then I set the Internet Option "HTML editing" setting in the "Programs" tab and it stopped working. :( Now I don't know how to clear the setting and return it to working as before I chose an HTML editor.

When you say it is using Notepad, do you mean it is showing CSE HTML Validator results in Notepad?
MikeK wrote:I have also tried cmdlineprocessor.exe instead of cse140.exe in Firefox but it still loads the Firefox default editor not CSE Validator.
It is really odd that IE11 and Firefox were able to load v12 but no matter what I do they will not load v14.
I look forward to any other thoughts you might have on the problem.
Regards
Mike
I was able to get Firefox to work.

In Firefox, please see:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/757430

There are three settings you'll need to make in about:config.

1. view_source.editor.external to true
2. view_source.editor.path to something like (don't enclose in quotation marks): C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator140\cmdlineprocessor.exe
3. view_source.editor.args to: -o

Now Firefox opens the source in CSE HTML Validator's editor where you can view and validate it.

Does this work for you?

Thanks.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeK
Rank I - Novice

Post by MikeK »

The Firefox solution works for me also. Many thanks.

To illustrate what I get when selecting 'View Source' in IE11 I paste below the first part of what appears in Notebook for Google home page.

Regards,
Mike

--------------------------------------------------

CSE HTML Validator Standard v14.00 (Registered)
Checking "C:\Users\The Kings\AppData\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC\INetCache\36B2X05Z\www.google.co[1]" (115874 characters).
File date is 12 November 2013 at 16:45:24.
File checked on 12 November 2013 at 16:45:25.

Number of lines checked: 1 in 0.00 seconds
Number of TNPL programs run: 601
Number of lines in document: 235 ( 0.4% of lines checked)
Number of lines ignored: 228
Number of character entities: 4
Number of start tags: 183
Number of end tags: 168 (91.8% of start tags with end tags)
Number of <% ... %> sections: 0
Number of HTML comments: 0

Number of validator comments: 23
Number of messages: 34
Number of errors: 21 (first in line 11)
Number of warnings: 17

--------------------------------------------------

[CSE] Warning number 1:
Possibly misspelled words (93, 55 unique): Blogger (1x),
Books (1x), browse (1x), Calendar (1x), Chrome (1x), click
(1x), connection (1x), Drive (1x), due (1x), Even (1x),
faster (1x), fields (1x), Finance (1x), from (1x), Go (1x),
here (1x), Hidden (1x), Home (1x), Images (1x), in (1x),
Install (1x), Learn (1x), Maps (1x), News (1x), Photos (1x),
Play (1x), reader (1x), Screen (1x), Shopping (1x), Sign
(1x), speed (1x), the (1x), Translate (1x), turn (1x), UK
(1x), unavailable (1x), users (1x), way (1x), web (1x),
YouTube (1x), Apps (2x), Feeling (2x), Gmail (2x), I'm (2x),
is (2x), Lucky (2x), off (2x), You (2x), Enter (3x), Instant
(3x). List limited to first 50 unique words. NOTE:
Validation terminated so not all words were checked. 95
total words checked (0 in comments).
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeK wrote:The Firefox solution works for me also. Many thanks.
Great. I'm glad it works.
MikeK wrote:To illustrate what I get when selecting 'View Source' in IE11 I paste below the first part of what appears in Notebook for Google home page.
Thanks. I have an idea for a solution. I'll get back to you when it's ready to try.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeK,

I am going to send you a link to a new cmdlineprocessor.exe to try. Just replace your current one in the folder where you installed CSE HTML Validator (something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator140\cmdlineprocessor.exe") with the one in the archive and then try 'View Source' in Internet Explorer and see if you get the behavior you want. The file should open in the editor where you can view and validate it.

Thanks.
MikeK
Rank I - Novice

Post by MikeK »

Albert
I had to override a Windows security warning about an 'unknown app' but it then loaded CSE Validator successfully. When I closed the Validator and tried 'View Source' again there was no security warning and Validator opened successfully.
Many thanks for resolving the problem.
Regards,
Mike
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeK,

Great. I'll make that the new default behavior for future versions.

Sorry about the security issue. I now realize that I neglected to digitally sign the test program, but it will be signed in official releases.