Error message limit

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Error message limit

Post by roedygr »

You can configure how many error or warning messages you want to see. However, if you blow the limit you see NOTHING. You should see the limit
error messages. Otherwise you have no clue what the matter is. When you get a large number of errors, chances are they are lots of the same problem. You just need to see a few examples.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Error message limit

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Sorry, I don't understand. If you set the error limit for 20, then you should see up to 20 errors. Perhaps the errors are in a different tab or page than the one you are looking at?

If this doesn't resolve it, then please provide more details.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

Albert Wiersch wrote:Hello,

Sorry, I don't understand. If you set the error limit for 20, then you should see up to 20 errors. Perhaps the errors are in a different tab or page than the one you are looking at?

If this doesn't resolve it, then please provide more details.
You were right. The errors were in one of the other tabs. I am just used to looking only in the first one.
MichaelBate
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by MichaelBate »

I have searched the help file, the FAQ, this forum and the Options interface, but have not been able to find how to set the limit on # warnings (currently set to default of 20). Hopefully someone can help. Am I missing something obvious?

Also is there any way to exclude specific warnings?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MichaelBate wrote:I have searched the help file, the FAQ, this forum and the Options interface, but have not been able to find how to set the limit on # warnings (currently set to default of 20). Hopefully someone can help. Am I missing something obvious?

Also is there any way to exclude specific warnings?
Hello Michael,

You can set the error and warning limits in the Validator Engine Options, Validator Engine->Message Output page. There are options there to set the maximum number of errors and maximum number of warnings.

You can also disable many of the messages that you don't want to see. Here is more information on disabling messages:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... ssages.htm
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... g_messages

In the most common case, you would right-click on the message you want to disable (when shown in the Results Window in the editor) and choose Message Options->Disable using Message ID. Note that not all messages have message ID's however (but most do).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MichaelBate
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by MichaelBate »

THANK YOU - a great product with great support!!!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

No problem. I'm happy to help! :D