Preserving cursor position on reload

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Preserving cursor position on reload

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I'm going line-by-line through a style sheet, cleaning up dupe statements and warnings, combining font statements into one, but when I make changes and re-validate, I lose my place and have to scroll to find it again. It'd be nice if the window scroll would stay in about the same position and the results window tab (I was using "line") would stay active.

Speaking of font statements, which can get a bit complex.... You could offer to do that for me. :D (line-height, font-variant, font-weight, font-family, font-size, etc. > one statement). You did ask for feature ideas once.

Thanks.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Preserving cursor position on reload

Post by RSteinwand »

I just remembered, by default you scroll to the first error or warning.

This creates a dilemma... :D
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

You editor suggestion is certainly a good one, but I think would cause more resources than I can reasonably allocate to "editor features" instead of validator features. :(

As for the scroll issue, you may want to disable "Automatically jump to the first error or warning message" option in the Editor Options, Results Window page. You can manually cycle through the messages with Alt+Up and Alt+Down and switch Results Window tabs with Alt+Left and Alt+Right.

I hope this helps! If not, let me know and maybe I can come up with another solution.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

The only solution I could come up with would be a toggle on the left to switch the behavior, "stay on line" vs. "jump to first error/warning".

NBD. I can't say I go line-by-line that often. 99% of the time I'm just interested if something "red" shows up.

Thanks again.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

How about an option added to the Results Window context (pop-up) menu: Options->Jump to First Error or Warning. It would make it a bit easier and quicker to change that option.

It wouldn't be as quick as a toggle that is always visible, but it also wouldn't add to the UI "clutter" either.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

That would work. Wasn't aware that item existed.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:That would work. Wasn't aware that item existed.
OK, great... I'll get this into a future update.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Cool!

Now I have one thing to look forward to. :D
Rick