Link Checking: Internal (Deep) Links

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
jayaitch
Rank II - Novice

Link Checking: Internal (Deep) Links

Post by jayaitch »

Hi,

last week I updated CSE from 14 to 15.0301 (Pro).

Since when checking from within TopStyle 5.0.0.104 internal (deep) links (eg #something) are marked as "File not found", even if within the very same file (though it is the same when deep linking to another file). Worth to note that the filename is dropped when the internal link goes within the same file. Previously it was "File exists" or something.

Checking the same file in CSE HTML Editor these links pass fine.

AFAIR internal links never were really checked with the exception, perhaps, within the same file, but having these showing up as File not found is rather irritating, particularly if there are several of them.

Presumably this post would better go to TopStyle support, however, with no posting since December and no bugfix release since last July TopStyle support & development seem dead. So trying here.

TIA
JayAitch
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Link Checking: Internal (Deep) Links

Post by Albert Wiersch »

That's strange. If it works with v14 then this should work with v15.

I made this small test file, loaded it in TopStyle, and didn't get any errors.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
	<meta charset="utf-8">
	<title>TopStyle bug report test</title>
	<meta name="generator" content="CSE HTML Validator (http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)">
</head>

<body>
<a href="#testlink">test link</a>
<h1 id="testlink">test anchor</h1>
</body>
</html>
Can you try the above test document?

Note that I was using v15.04 which does correct some bugs so it's possible that could be why I could not reproduce it. v15.04 will be released soon. In the meantime, can you try the above and let me know if it works?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
jayaitch
Rank II - Novice

Post by jayaitch »

Hi Albert,

thanks for your reply & testfile.

I pasted the code into TopStyle and it is the same "File not found" either unsaved, saved as ANSI or UTF-8.

Pasting into CSE Editor things are fine (after saving first, otherwise it would not check at all).

So looks indeed like 15.0304 fixes this somehow. That prospect already makes it less irritating!

Thanks,
JayAitch
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I've just released CSE HTML Validator Pro v15.0400. Can you update to it and let me know if it fixes the problem? Thanks!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
jayaitch
Rank II - Novice

Post by jayaitch »

Hi Albert,

installed (as update) with TopStyle closed, but unfortunately it is the same result as before.
Also reset link cache in TopStyle and clicked Validator Engine Options to see that it gets the new version. No avail.

As the only possible other recent interference I uninstalled WPS Office set up about 10 days before, without any betterment.

BTW the output in TopStyle looks like this, dropping the filename:

#testlink -? X:\web\project1\#testlink -? File Not Found
When pointing to a different file that part at least is alright:

otherfile.php#testlink -? X:\web\project1\otherfile.php#testlink -? File Not Found
Well, without a recipe it will be a hard to find bug, with the only certainty being that TopStyle has not changed...

--
Thanks,
JayAitch
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you. I see the problem now. I wasn't looking at the right message in TopStyle.

I've investigating this now and hope to have a fix in the next day or so if I find that it's a CSE HTML Validator problem.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I think this may be a TopStyle bug. I've asked the TopStyle developer to take a look.

It seems that TopStyle is asking CSE HTML Validator to check the wrong link. It's not including the filename in this case.
jayaitch
Rank II - Novice

Post by jayaitch »

Thanks. However, AFAICT it started only after upgrading to 15.x. Of course there is a chance that this actually is older, only went unnoticed since these deep links passed as successful, while now they are all marked as not found.

--
JayAitch
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I checked with v14 and while there was no error it was checking the wrong thing (it wasn't checking that the file exists but whether the folder that the file is in exists) so it really wasn't working. :(
jayaitch
Rank II - Novice

Post by jayaitch »

Indeed, that was the message! Always regarded it as circumscription for not testing the actual deep link, just the presence of the file (with the exception, perhaps, when pointing within the same file).

--
JayAitch