Round the world browser market share early April 2012

Post here if your message doesn't fit into another forum but is still about web development. Includes site critiques, web hosting and server questions, helpful software and resources, and more.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Round the world browser market share early April 2012

Post by MikeGale » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Here's an interesting presentation of market shares

http://j.mp/Ioiodr

World broken into 6 regions. Firefox, IE and Chrome are each most popular in 2 regions.

Unsurprisingly only Chrome is a one version browser.

(Individual sites will often be very different from this overview of course.)

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Round the world browser market share early April 2012

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks Mike. There's a lot of interesting info there on browser vendor, versions, and regions.

Looks like IE 7 is on it's way out... and I think IE 6 could be considered & treated as "dead" at this point.

I wonder about IE though... I think IE could make a big comeback with Windows 8 and IE 10. I think Windows 8 will be a big tablet seller and of course that includes IE 10.
Albert Wiersch

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Round the world browser market share early April 2012

Post by MikeGale » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:09 pm

I agree that Win8 is a big issue.

I haven't tried it out myself, too many other things to do. Some unorganised thoughts about it:
  • People who know HTML can probably build Metro style apps for the desktop. That opens another front, could be a game changer.
  • I saw a report yesterday that Steve Wozniak thinks that the Win Phone is better than the iPhone. That's out of left field, and unexpected. Don't know what to make of it!
  • The traditional Windows Desktop is going to maybe take a hit when the Start Menu is replaced by a Metro equivalent. This could disrupt experienced users a lot, as that ribbon does today. I expect third parties, and maybe even MS, to fill that gap soon after launch
  • I expect that portability between the HTML interfaces of iOS, Android and Win 8 will have a lot of appeal to developers, who want to avoid programming in a variety of languages (some of which are primitive).
  • The tendency for browser makers to deliberately hobble HTML5 releases, to promote their own "native apps" will, I hope, come apart. In other words browser technology will advance at a decent rate again.
  • I use hta's to some degree, it's a really good idea. The technology stopped development years ago. That core idea (the hta) will take off nicely.
  • It will take time. Older OS's will still be used. I've seen some already thinking about waiting until Win9. If the design is good enough the uptake will be quicker than the doubters think. There's some evidence that it might be that kind of release.
  • Not sure what impact this will have on the death of real tablet computers. That's the things with a Wacom interface on which you can do technical drawing and fine art. Great idea. Better maybe, but too expensive! The name seems to have been permanently stolen by lesser devices.
  • The first version of Win8 seems to drive a distinction between Metro and Traditional Desktop programs. I'm definitely hoping that this breaks down. I often feel limited by the HTML abilities of "traditional desktop programming". The ways that I can build good HTML into such applications is atrocious. This, I hope, will signal and end to that blinkered approach from the computer language / API / Dev Tools decision makers.
  • Hopefully this will restart the move to additional languages in browser side web development. JavaScript is creaky in various ways. (Just try out CoffeeScript for half an hour or more!!.) I remember years ago writing browser side script in a mix of JavaScript, VBScript and Perl (not for production unfortunately!). I even used VBScript to patch holes in the JavaScript implementations / spec. at the time! (That'll get the trolls rolling!!!) Now we seem to have a one language monoculture. It's good but there's a lot that it doesn't do easily.
I treat the shares in that report with caution. If you have your own stats compare them to the regional analysis. It's likely that will show a major difference from what's represented there!

Which means that people who frequent this forum, might see more opportunities opening up...