Interesting installation

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Interesting installation

Post by MikeGale »

When I installed version 2021 Ent on a Win 10 machine I had an interesting experience.

I went through picking my normal installation directory but presumably made a mistake and installed in the default directory.

When I realised what I'd done, I uninstalled from there and re-installed in my normal place.

The new version didn't work, in that things like tools didn't start up.

I looked in the registry, and found a number of entries pointing to the, now uninstalled, locations. I corrected these in the registry and it's now working (all that I've used).

The two registry areas that needed changing are:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AI Internet Solutions\CSE HTML Validator v4\FileTypesAndParsers
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AI Internet Solutions\CSE HTML Validator v4\Validator DLL
(more than one entry in each).

I did not reboot during the process, and on uninstall I didn't say yes to the last dialog (I think is says "full uninstall?").

I hope that's useful.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Interesting installation

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

The program is simply not designed to be moved once it is installed, and if it is, then a "full uninstall" is required in order to rebuild the registry entries properly for the new folder location.

I'll make a note of this and try to improve this behavior for the next major release.

Thank you for upgrading and reporting this issue.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I've been snowed under for a while so glad to be getting back to something more normal.

Maybe a note when the full uninstall comes up.

I leave the previous version installed until after the new one is running. When I saw that I thought "Does that remove the prior version?" and decided not to take the risk.

(Fortunately the registry changes seem to have been all that was required.)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:49 am I've been snowed under for a while so glad to be getting back to something more normal.

Maybe a note when the full uninstall comes up.

I leave the previous version installed until after the new one is running. When I saw that I thought "Does that remove the prior version?" and decided not to take the risk.

(Fortunately the registry changes seem to have been all that was required.)
I'm glad that you're getting back to normal. :)

Yes, I could try clarifying the 'full uninstall' question. If I can, I may include a link in the message to more detailed information.

You were right to be concerned about a previous version. It would have removed the registry settings for that version as well.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial