HTML Validator v10.00.03 Deletes Lines in File!

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

HTML Validator v10.00.03 Deletes Lines in File!

Post by paulp575 »

Randomly v10.00.03 will delete lines from my HTML files.
This is happening sufficient times I am strongly considering removing it from my computer as it recently caused me to have to completely rebuild one web page which I had spent an entire day working on! Didn't do a backup of the file first because this was a new problem.

Currently, as a workaround, before checking, I make a backup of the file - just in case!

I have attached a copy of the most recent file it deleted lines from (this is a backup copy of the complete file).

I'm wondering if it's because of the javascript near the top of the file. Seems to delete lines from somewhere somewhere in the middle of the javascript.
The end of file always remains intact.
Attachments
BSA2010-backup.zip
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HTML Validator v10.00.03 Deletes Lines in File!

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

In order to investigate this further, I would need detailed steps about how to reproduce the problem. Can you tell me how to reproduce it with the file you attached? After opening the file, what functions are you performing that might be causing this to happen?
paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

Steps taken to cause this to happen:

Open Windows Explorer and browse to folder containing the file.
Right click on the file and select "HTML Validator" (I created a "Send to" content menu entry because I use the program so much).
As soon as file opens, HTML Validator automatically checks the file and presents me with the results (would love to turn that off!).
Left click on the error I want to correct; cursor is placed on the point where the error occurs.
Begin correcting the error.
Suddenly lines in the file are removed (seems like it always starts deleting lines from the middle of the javascript). I haven't checked to see where it stops deleting the lines.

I am using Windows XP Pro with SP 3 installed.

Thanks,
paulp575
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paulp575 wrote:As soon as file opens, HTML Validator automatically checks the file and presents me with the results (would love to turn that off!).
Do you have the option to "Validate documents when opened" checked? It's in the Files->File Options page in the Editor Options.
paulp575 wrote:Left click on the error I want to correct; cursor is placed on the point where the error occurs.
What line number is that? I could not reproduce this issue but knowing the line number might help, especially if the problem is related to editing the file at a certain place. Since you may be using different validation options, I don't know if I'm getting the same results.
paulp575 wrote:Begin correcting the error.
Suddenly lines in the file are removed (seems like it always starts deleting lines from the middle of the javascript). I haven't checked to see where it stops deleting the lines.
Are you sure they are not being folded (hidden) for some reason with the code folding feature?

Also, if you open the file from the program using File->Open, does the same thing happen?

If you are still having problems, then I'd like you to run a utility that will let me connect to your computer and see exactly what is happening. Would you like to try this?
paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by paulp575 »

I haven't forgotten about this problem.

I have not seen it at all since posting the problem.

I am carefully watching it so that if it happens again, I'll look at the file and see if it's been folded (hidden) - as you suggested.

I did fix the auto check problem; thanks for pointing out where that was.

Thanks,
paulp575