How to fix this bug once for all?

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
markwolk
Rank III - Intermediate

How to fix this bug once for all?

Post by markwolk »

This bug returns at each new version upgrade of Validator: impossible to use the IE9 built-in "Edit" button. Can we get it to work once for all please? (see screencast http://screencast.com/t/LMh7TUMX )
Mark Wolk
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: How to fix this bug once for all?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Thank you. I'm investigating this. May I send you a new version to try when it's ready?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
markwolk
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by markwolk »

Sure; with pleasure!
Mark Wolk
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

markwolk wrote:Sure; with pleasure!
Great. I will PM you a download link to try. When installed, it should automatically add an "Edit with CSE HTML Validator v11.0" edit option to IE which I believe should work the way you want.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
markwolk
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by markwolk »

Great. The new version I received from you does the job. If you are interested to see how it behaves in IE9 Win7: http://screencast.com/t/BNY8MeTLNU
Mark Wolk
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

markwolk wrote:Great. The new version I received from you does the job. If you are interested to see how it behaves in IE9 Win7: http://screencast.com/t/BNY8MeTLNU
Great! And thanks for the screencasts.

If you want to try to clean up that "Edit with CSE HTML Validator Std" option, then let me know. I have some ideas to try, or you could just leave it.
markwolk
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by markwolk »

Albert Wiersch wrote: If you want to try to clean up that "Edit with CSE HTML Validator Std" option, then let me know. I have some ideas to try, or you could just leave it.
It's not disturbing attention or functionality. I am happy with it staying here.

Whilst we are at it, I have noticed that, at the same time as the bug of this thread appeared, it became impossible to open the majority of online websites using HTML Validator and that IE9 Edit button. It's probably related, so I am not opening a new thread about it:

- For example, this page shows me a grayed-out Edit button. I cannot open it using CSE Validator. I can see the code by going to Page -> View Source (it will open a Microsoft Notepad-style window)

- In http://www.ebay.com/ , the edit button is not grayed out. However when I click on it, CSE opens and shows the following popup:

Code: Select all

[Window Title]
CSE HTML Validator: Error Opening File

[Main Instruction]
Can't open document.

[Content]
An error occurred trying to open "C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ONZNKP10\ebay_com[1].htm".

The document may not exist or it may have been renamed, deleted, moved, or temporarily locked by an anti-virus program.

More info: Cannot open file "C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ONZNKP10\ebay_com[1].htm". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

[Try Again] [Cancel]
- Finally, some other pages can be opened with Validator.

Why would I want to open online pages with Validator? - Because I am nosey :) ... like every webmaster!
Mark Wolk
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

markwolk wrote:Whilst we are at it, I have noticed that, at the same time as the bug of this thread appeared, it became impossible to open the majority of online websites using HTML Validator and that IE9 Edit button. It's probably related, so I am not opening a new thread about it:
I noticed this behavior too. It seems that IE does not make the edit option available for some pages, and for other pages it does, but CSE HTML Validator is unable to open the file for some reason. It could be a security issue, but I'm not sure exactly why the OS is not letting it open the file in some cases.

I think in this case you should just use the "View Source" feature instead of the edit option. If you go to Options->Editor Options and the "Internet Explorer" page, then you can set CSE HTML Validator as the source viewer (answering with "Open in Editor" when asked) and it should do what you want when you view the source in IE.
markwolk
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by markwolk »

Yes! That worked! So now I can go to http://www.google.com/ and check Google's code:

Code: Select all

Terminating validation due to too many errors. Please correct the previous errors and recheck the document. HTML Validator is currently set to stop checking after 20 errors.
How satisfying! :lol:
Mark Wolk
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

markwolk wrote:How satisfying! :lol:
:lol: Yes, I think Google could use a license or two, or three, or 1000+ of CSE HTML Validator. :D
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I suspect some organisations deliberately create bad markup so that their content is not machine readable.

It's a fine line though. Easy to make something that some browsers can't fix!!