Space conversion and auto-indent

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
Lars
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Space conversion and auto-indent

Post by Lars »

A review of html editors refers to a couple things that a good html editor should be able to do:
(1) Convert tabs to spaces before saving?
(2) Support auto-indent in html mode?
Does CSE HTML Validator support this?

Lars
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi Lars,

I'm know nothing about the review you refer to.

I'd recommend that you form your own opinions of what is good layout and practice. Then base your decision on what you want.

In my experience reviews often come to conclusions different from my own but are useful.

(I'm not even going into a discussion of your specific points.)
Lars
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Lars »

Mike,

The review is titled "Prettify your html, make me want to help you", posted by "kk5st" on 24 August 2006 on CSS Creator [www.csscreator.com].

I certainly have my own opinion of what works and what doesn't. As to what I want, I guess I want the same as you and everybody else: a tool that facilitates good code and is straightforward to use. And yes, reviews are written by people who have worked at it and come to certain conclusions, which may or may not be the same as mine.

Actually, my query is not about taking issue with this or that reviewer, nor with trying to engage you or anybody else in a discussion about specific points. I posted two very concrete questions concerning what CSS HTML Validator can do or cannot do.

I still hope to receive answers to these questions.

Regards, Lars[/url]
John Zeman
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by John Zeman »

Lars CSE HTML Validator Pro has integrated support for HTML Tidy which will take care of the indenting for you.

I have to pass on the tabs to spaces question though, I use CSE extensively for error checking/validation however for most actual editing I use a different tool.

In my opinion CSE is well worth the investment whether you use it as an html editor or not.

John
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Space conversion and auto-indent

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Lars wrote:A review of html editors refers to a couple things that a good html editor should be able to do:
(1) Convert tabs to spaces before saving?
(2) Support auto-indent in html mode?
Does CSE HTML Validator support this?

Lars
Hi Lars,

1. No, the editor doesn't do this but according to the HTML Tidy quick reference, HTML Tidy never outputs tabs so it must convert them to spaces (see the "tab-size" HTML Tidy option). You could try using HTML Tidy to reformat your documents and remove the tab characters.

2. Yes, the editor can place the cursor under the first non-whitespace character of the preceding line. This works when editing HTML as well as any other document. This option is enabled by default but can be disabled if wanted.

I hope this helps!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lars
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Lars »

Albert and John,

Thanks for your good advice! Incl. re. HTML Tidy and its integration with CSE HTML Validator.

Regards, Lars