Can't start V2019

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
ReneK
Rank II - Novice

Can't start V2019

Post by ReneK »

Hi,

when starting v19.0000 it says "Reopening last opened documents..." and stays there forever (title bar says "not responding"). I tried emptying the temporary folder, I deleted "AppData\Roaming\AI Internet Solutions" below the user's folder and I deleted the "HKCU\Software\AI Internet Solutions" key. The latter two got correctly rebuild on the next startup, but I still don't get past the "Reopening.." message.

Any idea of what could cause this?

Thanks,
Rene
Attachments
error.png
error.png (16.06 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Can't start V2019

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Yes, I've run into this before. I suspect it is this:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/support/h ... 2019010300

Are you using Windows 10 Version 1803? If so then please try updating Windows to a later version or applying the latest updates and fixes for 1803 (use Windows' 'Check for updates' function).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
ReneK
Rank II - Novice

Post by ReneK »

Hi Albert!

No, I'm still on 7. And no, there's no update pending. The machine is fully up to date. BUT: I just created a crash dump of the hung app to have quick look. A few seconds after doing so, the validator fired up fine. The problem is gone. :D

Nevertheless, I opened the crash dump. From what I can tell, the dump got created when you were trying to read a value from the registry. But since I've no symbols for the exe file, not being a debug expert at all and having a running app now, I stopped here.

Let me know if you like to get the dumps to have a look yourself. If not, they'll get deleted some time later.

Sorry for the noise I've created on your forums!

Thanks,
Rene
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rene,

In that case I do not know why it hung there but I'm glad it's working now.

I will review the code in that area, especially where it may be reading registry values. If you'd like you can send the dump to me at support at htmlvalidator dot com.

No problem on posting on the forum. That's why it's here and this could definitely help someone else with the same issue so I'm glad you posted this here.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

UPDATE: I think I found the problem and have fixed it in v19.0011 which is now available (although the update system won't tell you about it yet if you check for updates). If anyone else experiences this issue then please try re-downloading the program and you should get v19.0011.