Can't save edited HTML files

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
kjkahn
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Can't save edited HTML files

Post by kjkahn »

When I edit and try to save an existing HTML file (CSS HTML Validator 2019), I get "Stream Write Error." If I try to save it with a different name, I get "File Not Found." I can save it to an external drive, however.

I am not having trouble saving files with other programs.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Can't save edited HTML files

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble.

That's strange. Have you checked the write permissions of the file and folder you are trying to save to? Are you saying that other programs work when you try to save to the same filename/folder?

Could an anti-virus/anti-malware program be interfering?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
kjkahn
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by kjkahn »

Thanks,

It seems to have been the ransomware protection in Windows Defender. CSS HTML Validator was not on Microsoft's default list of safe programs. I've set Defender to allow CSS HTML Validator access to my files and the problem seems to be gone. Microsoft could have made this easier.

Ken
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

kjkahn wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:59 pm Thanks,

It seems to have been the ransomware protection in Windows Defender. CSS HTML Validator was not on Microsoft's default list of safe programs. I've set Defender to allow CSS HTML Validator access to my files and the problem seems to be gone. Microsoft could have made this easier.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Thank you. I'm glad the problem is resolved. The cause is good to know in case other users start reporting the same problem... but hopefully Microsoft will improve their detection and not block legitimate applications.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial