Errors labelled as Warnings or Messages

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
DimitriAus
Rank I - Novice

Errors labelled as Warnings or Messages

Post by DimitriAus »

Descriptions are also inconsistent in single page and batch. For example, extra row <tr><tr> in one-page validation shows as Warning on table tag only. So I have to check the entire table manually. In the batch wizard, the same raw error reported as Warning on table tag and Message on a <tr><tr> tag. That is easy to miss because there are many other non significant events shown as messages or warnings such as misspelled words.
W3C validator reports errors on <tr><tr>. Why broken table is a nonsignificant message for HTML Validator?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Errors labelled as Warnings or Messages

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Sorry about that and thanks for reporting this.

It looks like CSS HTML Validator is not detecting a problem with <tr><tr> so I will work on fixing this.

I'll also see if I can improve the messages regarding improper column counts for table rows. Currently this just causes a warning to be issued for the "table" tag. You can change this to an error message if you prefer. To do this you can right-click on the message when it's shown in the Results Window and choose Message Options > Change Message Type to > Error.

However, the messages should be consistent between single page validation and batch. When you do a single page validation are you doing a 'Full' validation? If you do not then you may not be seeing all the messages, like "regular" (non-error, non-warning, non-comment) messages which are highlighted in blue. For example, if you do an 'Errors and warnings only' validation then you won't see the regular (blue) messages.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I've reviewed this issue and have improved the table structure checking for the next major release. There should now be a warning on the "tr" tag when that row does not contain the expected number of cells instead of a similar warning only being on the "table" tag.

However, regarding the error with <tr><tr>, I am not sure why the W3C validator thinks that is an error. It seems like it doesn't like table rows that contain no cells, but the HTML standard says that's OK (because it can contain zero or more cells):
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/ ... tr-element

I'll have the validator generate a warning for it, however, and you can up that warning to an error if you'd like.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

One more update on this... I have a BETA version of the next major release you can try if you'd like (with improvements to table structure checking). If you're interested then please send me a private message. Thanks!