508 - Loop Detected

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

508 - Loop Detected

Post by moganero »

Running Batch wizard on https://www.newcastlecameraclub.org/ is giving me several 508 - Loop Detected messages. As far as I can tell, these are just links to other pages on the site, or links to the same page, but all of them would require the user to click on a link. Is it telling me about something I need to fix, or something that might need fixing?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: 508 - Loop Detected

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Can you send me the Batch Wizard report and a copy and paste of the Batch Progress tab after running the Batch Wizard job?

Please email to support at htmlvalidator dot com.

Thank you!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you. I received the files and ran it locally but did not encounter the same issue.

Does this always happen when you run this job?

I wonder if something local to your computer or network could be causing this? Are you using any anti-malware programs that might be affecting the link checker?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

It's happened every time I've run it today - I'd never seen this before. I've just moved the site to a new server, but I wouldn't have thought that would have affected it.

I'm running Bitdefender - it's allowing all protocols, any IP in any direction for chv200.exe
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

I've checked a few other sites that I have just moved and got nothing like that (though a phishing attempt has been blocked from an external link on one of them)
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

puerto-de-mogan.com, also moved to the new server is giving the 508 warnings.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Interesting. So it seems to be related to the new server?

Can you try slowing down the link checker? Go to the Validator Engine Options and the 'Link Checking' page and try changing the wait time between checks to 1000 milliseconds or more and lowering the max simultaneous link checks to 5. Then run the job again. Does that have any effect?
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

That sloooows it down!

No loops now on newcastlecameraclub.org, nor puerto-de-mogan.com. I did get them on the one site on the old server that I tried before changing the settings, but none now.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

moganero wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 am That sloooows it down!

No loops now on newcastlecameraclub.org, nor puerto-de-mogan.com. I did get them on the one site on the old server that I tried before changing the settings, but none now.
Great that you're not getting that error anymore. :D

You can "play" with the settings to speed it up (like going from 1000ms to 500ms or 250ms) ... just don't go too fast or it might trigger the error again.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

I've just reverted to the original settings and tried it on the local server on my PC and that doesn't give any loop warnings.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

I'll tweak it to avoid the error.