Doesn't start on Windows 7, 64 bit.

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
airneil
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Doesn't start on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Post by airneil »

I've looked at the FAQ. I tried the suggestions there. I even went so far as to uninstall, reboot, disable my virus/malware software, install, and try to run CSE.

It didn't work.

I've looked for log entries in my system logs and in my virus software. No log entries.

When I double click the CSE Icon, the circle starts for a split second, then goes away. If I have task manager open, CSE never appears in the applications tab, but sometimes shows up on the tasks tab for a split second, then goes away.

I upgraded my registration yesterday to the latest version, downloaded same. I have never had another version of CSE installed on this computer.

Any ideas?

Russell Johnson

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Doesn't start on Windows 7, 64 bit.

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Russell,

It should work. I use a Win7 64-bit system and v9 and v10 both work properly, as should previous versions.

What anti-virus software are you using? It may not be good enough just to "disable" it. Can you tell it to ignore certain folders, like the one where CSE HTML Validator is installed in?

Also, have you tried the v10 BETA? Perhaps that will work.
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/beta

airneil
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by airneil »

OK. I uninstalled uninstalled CSE HTML Validator, PCTools Internet Security, rebooted, and then installed CSE HTML Validator again. It installed, ran and seemed to work fine.

I then reinstalled PCTools Internet Security, and now, CSE HTML Validator no longer starts at all.

The only section of Internet Security that seems to have a white list is the firewall, so I tried adding HTML Validator to the white list. This had no effect.

So I requested help from the folks at PCTools. No response as yet, but it's Friday, and I'm on the west coast of the US.

It appears the issue is with Internet Security, but if anyone here has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Russell Johnson

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

airneil wrote:So I requested help from the folks at PCTools. No response as yet, but it's Friday, and I'm on the west coast of the US.

It appears the issue is with Internet Security, but if anyone here has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Glad you found the cause. If you can't exclude certain folders, then I would check to see if you can turn-down the protection (maybe turn some of it's "higher level" stuff off) as it seems to be overreacting. That might work. Another solution would be to just use the free Microsoft Security Essentials (that's what I use). Another one I like is VIPRE, but that one is not free.

UPDATE: If your anti-malware software supports a list of "trusted applications", then you could try adding CSE HTML Validator to that list as well.

Skipping any malware checks on CSE HTML Validator should also result in a performance increase.

Clisair
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Clisair »

Just to note another Anti-Virus program, The one from Norman Securities is good as well, but does cost but one license will cover 3 comps in one house.