Folders, options and adjustments

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
Walter Metzger
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

Folders, options and adjustments

Post by Walter Metzger »

Good Day,

I have today different questions:
a) I have 2 folders for CSE HTML Validator Pro (v10.0020)
1. = C:\Programme\HTMLValidator100
and
2. = C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Anwendungsdaten\AI Internet Solutions\CSE HTML Validator\10.0
In each folder exists : htmlvalV100.cfg.
When I rename this file in folder 1. in nonsens.cfg, CSE is starting correct.
(Not when i rename too in folder 2.)
Also, htmlvalV100.cfg must only be in folder 2.

Is this correct?

b) When i make changes in 3. Options/Editor Options and with OK
the changes are done, but in which file? It cannot be htmlvalV100.cfg, date/time of this file
are unchanged.

c) When i make changes in 4. Options/Validator Engine Options/Options and leave with OK
the changes are done, but in which file? It cannot be htmlvalV100.cfg, date/time of this file
are unchanged.

Which files contains the changes for b) and c)?
What kind of changes (from options) contains htmlvalV100.cfg?
Is it possible, to look in htmlvalV100.cfg except CSE HTML Validator?

d) I have 2 PC, one private and the other in our club.
I want exactly the same settings in both PC´s.

Which files must be copied from one in the other PC?

I hope, anyone can understand and give me an answer,
Thank You and greetings from Germany
Walter Metzger

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Folders, options and adjustments

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Walter Metzger wrote:Good Day,

I have today different questions:
a) I have 2 folders for CSE HTML Validator Pro (v10.0020)
1. = C:\Programme\HTMLValidator100
and
2. = C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Anwendungsdaten\AI Internet Solutions\CSE HTML Validator\10.0
In each folder exists : htmlvalV100.cfg.
When I rename this file in folder 1. in nonsens.cfg, CSE is starting correct.
(Not when i rename too in folder 2.)
Also, htmlvalV100.cfg must only be in folder 2.

Is this correct?
Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding.

The file htmlvalV100.cfg should be in both folders. If another user were to start CSE HTML Validator, then it would copy the config file in C:\Programme\HTMLValidator100 to the user's Documents and Settings folder.
Walter Metzger wrote:b) When i make changes in 3. Options/Editor Options and with OK
are unchanged.
The options in the Options->Editor Options are saved in the registry, not the cfg file.
Walter Metzger wrote:c) When i make changes in 4. Options/Validator Engine Options/Options and leave with OK
are unchanged.
Those options are also saved to the registry, though some may be saved to certain config files, but not htmlvalV100.cfg.
Walter Metzger wrote:What kind of changes (from options) contains htmlvalV100.cfg?
That file can be changed using the Configuration Editor in the professional edition. Most users do not or would not change this file.
Walter Metzger wrote:Is it possible, to look in htmlvalV100.cfg except CSE HTML Validator?
It's a binary file so it is not designed to be looked at in other applications or in text editors.
Walter Metzger wrote:d) I have 2 PC, one private and the other in our club.
I want exactly the same settings in both PC´s.

Which files must be copied from one in the other PC?
You should be able to transfer the Validator Engine Options relatively easily by using the Validator Engine Options import/export functions. If you have made changes using the Configuration Editor, then you would also want to transfer the htmlvalV100.cfg file, but it is unlikely that you changed this file, especially if you did not use the Configuration Editor.

This should help:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/v1 ... export.htm

There is no similar import/export feature for the editor options. If you wanted to do this, you would have to copy the appropriate registry entries over. I wouldn't recommend it.
Walter Metzger wrote:I hope, anyone can understand and give me an answer,
Thank You and greetings from Germany
Walter Metzger
I hope this helps. Greetings for USA! :D