Better incorporated preview browser support

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
frazor
Rank II - Novice

Better incorporated preview browser support

Post by frazor »

Rather than requiring installation of extra packages (e.g. XULRunner) please build this functionality into Topstyle itself.

It should be possible to bundle a Gecko and Webkit previewer as they are both open source.

IE can be assumed as it *should* be present in some form with most Windows installs. Perhaps dangerous to assume though. maybe MS can help here as they seem to have multiple IE rendering in the Expression Superpreview tool (Free).

Opera must be doable too, seeing as its been traditionally used in Adobe products (but I realise it may not be free, suggest asking though).

This would make the preview feature of Topstyle AwesomePowerful(tm). ;)
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Re: Better incorporated preview browser support

Post by Lou »

JMHO but your suggestion would open Stefan up to including every free, open source browser ever thought of and keeping track of what version is current. There would also be the issue of which version of a browser is being used, even though not the most current. Many of these browsers I do not worry about and don't want on my development system.

Before I started using TS I already had available all the browsers I felt were necessary to support/check during development. After checking the "top 5" browsers, including flavors of IE, the number of users on iPhones, blackberry or other small screens is larger than the next large screen browser.

I thank letting each developer select and load their own collection of browsers should continue. Stefan's interface to all the browsers I check is good and doesn't add unnecessary stuff to my system.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
frazor
Rank II - Novice

Post by frazor »

I think you've misunderstood. I'm talking about the browser engine cores used in the preview pane. This uses just the core rendering component from any given browser. Topstyle only works with Trident by default, and allows for manual setup of Gecko (Mozctlx, via XULRunner) and Webkit (via installing Safari 3.2.3).

I definitely don't mean Topstyle installing browsers for you.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

'I see' said the blind man.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.