Registerable (paid) versions of CSS HTML Validator v10 and above and CSE HTML Validator Lite now support a "portability" feature. The free trial version does not. However, please note that this feature is still considered "BETA" because it hasn't been thoroughly tested & refined.
To try portable mode:
- Install normally (or have already installed) CSS HTML Validator v10.0132 or later
- Insert a USB drive into your computer and create a folder on it, where you want to put CSS HTML Validator (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator")
- Copy all files and folders from the folder where you installed CSS HTML Validator (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator210" for 2021/v21 or "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator180" for 2018/v18 to the folder you just created on the USB drive (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator")
- IMPORTANT: Create an empty file "chvoptions.ini" if using 2021/v21+ (or "cseoptions.ini" if using 2020/v20 or older) on the USB drive (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator\chvoptions.ini"). When CSS HTML Validator sees this file, it will run in "portable mode".
- Now you can start CSS HTML Validator from the USB drive by running the executable file chv210.exe, like "E:\CSS HTML Validator\chv210.exe" for 2021/v21 or cse190.exe for 2019/v19
- Check to make sure you are running in "portable mode" by going to Help->About CSS HTML Validator and make sure it says "Running in portable mode from folder <folder>." in the About box
- Re-register CSS HTML Validator with your registration information
- Do not remove the USB drive while CSS HTML Validator is still running
- All settings will be reset to their defaults when first run from the USB drive with an empty cseoptions.ini file
- Copying the USB drive folder to another drive will invalidate the registration and require re-registration when run from the new copy, but the program options will be retained
The easiest way to upgrade a portable install is to upgrade your desktop/non-portable install in the normal fashion by running the setup program, then copy all the files and folders in the installation folder (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator210") to your portable installation, replacing only the newer files. The most important files to upgrade/copy are the EXE and DLL files, as well as the configuration file (usually htmlvalV210.cfg).