Running a portable version of CSS HTML Validator

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Running a portable version of CSS HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

If you are interested in a portable version of CSS HTML Validator that you can install on a thumb drive and take with you to work or school, then please read on.

Registerable (paid) versions of CSS HTML Validator v10 and above and CSE HTML Validator Lite now support a "portability" feature. The free trial version does not. However, please note that this feature is still considered "BETA" because it hasn't been thoroughly tested & refined.

To try portable mode:
  • Install normally (or have already installed) CSS HTML Validator v10.0132 or later
  • Insert a USB drive into your computer and create a folder on it, where you want to put CSS HTML Validator (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator")
  • Copy all files and folders from the folder where you installed CSS HTML Validator (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator210" for 2021/v21 or "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator180" for 2018/v18 to the folder you just created on the USB drive (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator")
  • IMPORTANT: Create an empty file "chvoptions.ini" if using 2021/v21+ (or "cseoptions.ini" if using 2020/v20 or older) on the USB drive (like "E:\CSS HTML Validator\chvoptions.ini"). When CSS HTML Validator sees this file, it will run in "portable mode".
  • Now you can start CSS HTML Validator from the USB drive by running the executable file chv210.exe, like "E:\CSS HTML Validator\chv210.exe" for 2021/v21 or cse190.exe for 2019/v19
After starting from the USB drive for the first time:
  • Check to make sure you are running in "portable mode" by going to Help->About CSS HTML Validator and make sure it says "Running in portable mode from folder <folder>." in the About box
  • Re-register CSS HTML Validator with your registration information
Notes:
  • Do not remove the USB drive while CSS HTML Validator is still running
  • All settings will be reset to their defaults when first run from the USB drive with an empty cseoptions.ini file
  • Copying the USB drive folder to another drive will invalidate the registration and require re-registration when run from the new copy, but the program options will be retained
Upgrading a portable install:

The easiest way to upgrade a portable install is to upgrade your desktop/non-portable install in the normal fashion by running the setup program, then copy all the files and folders in the installation folder (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator210") to your portable installation, replacing only the newer files. The most important files to upgrade/copy are the EXE and DLL files, as well as the configuration file (usually htmlvalV210.cfg).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
siliconglen
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Portable version of CSE HTML Validator - interested?

Post by siliconglen »

I think this is potentially a useful idea, but the problem I see is that some people won't necessarily have the privileges to install a USB at work. For me the idea of concurrent licences is potentially more attractive.
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.
Scottish blog, FAQ, weddings, website design, stop spam and more!
Doris
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Doris »

Has the portable version been released as of yet? I think I would find this extremely useful. I could really benefit greatly from a portable version of CSE HTML Validator.
Last edited by Doris on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Doris wrote:Has the portable version been released as of yet? I think I would find this very useful. Thanks.
There's no separate portable version, but if you follow the instructions in the first post of this topic, you should be able to convert recent versions to a portable install, though this feature is still considered 'BETA'.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
gleff
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by gleff »

Hi all,

I just updated to version 11 from version 9 to make use of the portable capabilities but I'm having trouble getting the html tidy part to work from the portable installation. As far as I can tell everything else works though. The tidy feature works from the installation on my desktop pc but when launching the portable version (even if the portable version is on the desktop as well), it immediately comes up with an error.

"An error occurred trying to run HTML Tidy. Error: 2005052003: CreateProcess() failed for 'G:/Registered Software\CSE HTML Validator 11 Registered\Portable CSE HTML Validator 11\tidy.exe" --indent auto --indent-spaces2 --wrap68 --preserve-entities 1 --tidy-mark 0."

Is this a known issue or is there a workaround? I really would like to use the feature from the portable installation.

Note: i've tried it on two different PC's, and tried it off a USB key as well as on the HD of a desktop PC. It always fails from the portable version only.

To replicate, I just Open from the web any website, and go straight to Tools, Pretty Print/Fix or Pretty Pring/Fix Dialog. As soon as I do this, I get the error dialog box come up.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

gleff wrote:To replicate, I just Open from the web any website, and go straight to Tools, Pretty Print/Fix or Pretty Pring/Fix Dialog. As soon as I do this, I get the error dialog box come up.
I'm sorry for the delay.

Could you try this with v11.01 (just released) and let me know if this problem still exists? While I didn't address this issue directly in v11.01, a bug was fixed that could affect portable installs.
gleff
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by gleff »

Thanks Albert.. I just tested the new version and it seems to be fixed.. works great now.

Cheers
Geoff
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

gleff wrote:Thanks Albert.. I just tested the new version and it seems to be fixed.. works great now.
Great! :D
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I've updated the original post. Please note that current registerable (paid) versions of CSE HTML Validator, and CSE HTML Validator Lite support the portable mode feature. The free trial version, which is not registerable, does not support portable mode. If you have or buy a supported version, then this feature should be available.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

Would such a beast not violate the licenence agreement? I am not supposed to use HTMLValidator to clean up somebody else's files on their computer, right?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

roedygr wrote:Would such a beast not violate the licenence agreement? I am not supposed to use HTMLValidator to clean up somebody else's files on their computer, right?
If you install CSE HTML Validator on a USB drive, and run it from there, then it should be OK to bring your install (on a USB drive) over to another computer to help someone. The problem would be if you copied your install & license and let someone else run it (using your license).
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Running a portable version of CSE HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

VonDarrs wrote:Is this version still working ?
Yes, portable mode should still work in the current version. If you have any problems with it then please post back with the details of the problem and I'll be happy to assist.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Running a portable version of CSE HTML Validator

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I've updated the original post to be more current. While this feature was never 'finalized', it is expected to still work with the latest version (although not the trial version), which is currently CSS HTML Validator 2020.