Yet another spell check request

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Yet another spell check request

Post by roedygr »

I am working on a document that is half German and half English. As you can imagine, this drives the spell checker crazy.

It would be nice if <td align="top" lang="de-DE">

invoked a German language spell checker or failing that, turned off spellchecking.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Yet another spell check request

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I'll consider improving this for a future version, but if you use/select both English and German dictionaries at the same time, does it work well enough?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

spell check

Post by roedygr »

I have been using Blue Griffon WYSIWYG html editor. One feature it has would be nice for HTML validator.

They look at the <html lang="en-CA" tag, and automatically select an appropriate spelling dictionary.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: spell check

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you. Use of the "lang" attribute to control the active dictionary has been on my mind for quite some time... I hope to finally get around to this in the next major release. I'm finishing up 12.01 now, for release later this month (March 2013).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'm now working on this (support for changing dictionaries based on the "lang" and/or "xml:lang" attributes) and testing it for the next major release. If you'd like to test a BETA, then please contact me privately.

This new feature works with the validator engine, and thus the validator spelling message, but not in the editor like with 'Live Spelling'. However, you can select multiple dictionaries to support multiple languages simultaneously.

Thank you!
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

How about ignoring words in scripts? (This is v.14b27.)

I've tried checking "Lines beginning with < ", but that doesn't work and also is unchecked when I open Spelling Options again.

For example, it wants to check 'px' and '.google-analytics.com/ga.js' (anything in quotes) below:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
	var total,rand,t;
	function fixPromo(){var h1=document.getElementById('prom1'),h2=document.getElementById('prom2');if(h1.offsetTop==h2.offsetTop){try{document.getElementById('prom1').style.height=(h2.offsetHeight-5)+'px';}catch(i){}}else{document.getElementById('prom1').style.height='auto';}}
	function SavePrefs(){}
	function LoadPrefs(){
//		rndtestimonial(true);t=setInterval(function(){rndtestimonial(true);},10000);
		fixPromo();showfeatdiv();showtradeshows();Copyright();fixloginurl();fixlinkurl('golflink');fixlinkurl('econtractslink');
		var tO=null;window.onresize=function(){if(tO!==null){clearTimeout(tO);}tO=setTimeout(function(){fixPromo();},150);};
	}
	if(window.addEventListener){window.addEventListener("load",LoadPrefs,false);window.addEventListener("unload",SavePrefs,false);}else if(window.attachEvent){window.attachEvent("onload",LoadPrefs);window.attachEvent("onunload",SavePrefs);}else{window.onload=LoadPrefs;window.onunload=SavePrefs;}
	var _gaq=_gaq||[];_gaq.push(['_setAccount','UA-9376132-1']);_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);(function(){var ga=document.createElement('script');ga.type='text/javascript';ga.async=true;ga.src=('https:'==document.location.protocol?'https://ssl':'http://www')+'.google-analytics.com/ga.js';var s=document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga,s);})();
</script>
</body>
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

Are you referring to the squiggly red underlines in the editor caused by Live Spelling?
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Nope, Tools.... Spell Check.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I see it's the same engine for both tho. If I click on a squiggly red-underlined word, it brings up the same dialog.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:I see it's the same engine for both tho. If I click on a squiggly red-underlined word, it brings up the same dialog.
Thanks Rick... I'm inquiring about this and if it is feasible then I will make it so that the spell checker does not try to spell-check words in script elements as well as in other scripting sections (and possibly an option to control this).
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Thanks.

I just noticed it in a commented out line of my inline style sheet as well.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks Rick. I heard back, and unfortunately this feature request may not be feasible.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I guess I lived without spell check for years so no big deal.

Thanks for checking. :D
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:I guess I lived without spell check for years so no big deal.

Thanks for checking. :D
You're welcome. I have posted another question about it so am still researching but as of now I'm considering it "unfeasible". Should that change though, then I'll get it in. It is a good suggestion. :)
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

"Requires a lot of work to change" <> "not feasible". :D

Thanks again.
Rick