simple idea to help "deconfigure"

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

simple idea to help "deconfigure"

Post by roedygr »

It is hard to clean HTML markup up all at once. I often turn off checking of someth syntax ugliness until I get all the higher priority problem fixed, then later I want to turn the HTMLValidator checking back on. But WHERE in the rabbit warren is the switch to turn it back on? What was it called? Sometimes they are just meaningless numbers.

My idea is this. HIGHLIGHT any configuration option that is not set to the default. This would make the overrides easier to find. It would also encourage you to reconsider options you long ago turned off.

I hope it is trivial to implement. It would also help you detect accidental configuration changes.

The effect would be similar to HTML 5 <mark></mark> as if someone had used a highliter pen to mark the options that had been modified.

It also lets you change defaults, let people know of you new recommendations, without actually changing anyone's settings.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Re: simple idea to help "deconfigure"

Post by roedygr »

Another way to implement this would be to have a summary page of just what what differs from the defaults.
You could print this out to use on reinstall.
Ideally you could turn these options back to default without having to find them in their home places in the burrows.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

roedygr wrote:My idea is this. HIGHLIGHT any configuration option that is not set to the default.
Another way you might do this is maintain the default and customised styles, and allow toggling between them when validating.

So if you are thinking about turning some validations back on, you temporarily validate some text
with the defaults. You then get to mark the errors that come up as keep validating or stop validating in future.
On the next validation run, it will revert to your standard config, with changes. The default config won't change.
You won't undo any difference that did not show up in the validation run. The advantage of this is you would not need any new UI code, just a menu item, "validate with default config".
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Roedy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of highlighting the options that are not set to default. I've made a note of this suggestion for possible future implementation.

I do have some suggestions you can use now, however:

* Use the 'Errors only' and/or 'Errors and warnings only' validation modes to concentrate on the more serious issues first.

* If you change/edit the validation options, then you can import and export your settings to "veo" files, so you can save and restore the settings later. For more information about this, please see: https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... export.htm

* Also note that the defaults for the options are in the documentation, so you can just hit the 'Help' button to learn what the default is. It's certainly not as quick as the visual suggestion, but you can do this now.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

In the next update, many of the options will include their default at the end of the option like this: (default: checked) or (default: 10)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial