spell checking madness

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

spell checking madness

Post by roedygr »

I decided to turn on spell check of html markup since my HTML is peppered with magic comments that generate code. Fixing the generated code is pointless. I have to fix problems in the macros.

However this does not work because HTML validator keeps changing words I don't want changed.

For example <!-- macro Formula CO2 --> will generate the subscripts. However the spell checker did a global change of that to <!-- macro Formula Co2 --> wich is invalid syntax

Another is <!-- macro Spell naive --> which I used to keep accented word hidden from the spell checker will generate na&iuml;ve.

It be TIDY doing this, but only started happening when I turn on spell checking of markup.

However the spell checker converts that to <!-- macro Spell naïve -->

There is another trouble with the spell checker. I sometimes notice it has an incorrectly spelled word in its dictonary. How do I remove it?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: spell checking madness

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I think the misspelled word list (spelling message) when you do a validation may be more helpful in your case as it's a "smarter" checker than the simpler one in the editor.

If you don't want it to correct dual capitals (like in CO2), then you can uncheck that option in the Spelling Options dialog. Alternatively (or in addition), you can also check the option to ignore words containing numbers.

Tidy should not produce different output because you changed a spelling option. If it does, then please provide detailed information on how I can reproduce this.

You can only remove words from a custom dictionary. If the misspelled word is in another dictionary, then please let me know. To remove a word in a custom dictionary:

1. Please go to Options->Validator Engine Options, and the Validator Engine->Spell Checking page.
2. Click on "More Spelling Options".
3. Click on the "Custom Dictionary" tab and choose the custom dictionary to edit.
4. In the "Adds" tab (still in the "Custom Dictionary" tab), you should see the words you have added, and you can add and delete words there.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial