feature request

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Gorky
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

feature request

Post by Gorky »

Hi Albert,

a power-search (like this: http://www.tali.com/tools.html#aboutps) for a complete website would be extremely fine in the upcoming vers.8

regards

Gorky
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks. That would be great to have, but I think it strays too far away from being an "HTML Validator" function. I want to be sure I stick with the core function of the program and don't stray too far away or it will get out of control. :-)
Gorky
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

och

Post by Gorky »

Albert,

sorry to hear this :(

Maybe other users will have at look at the link and vote for thuch a feature :wink:

Gorky
paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Re: och

Post by paulp575 »

Gorky wrote:Albert,

sorry to hear this :(

Maybe other users will have at look at the link and vote for thuch a feature :wink:

Gorky
I looked at it and do not want to see that.

I am getting tired of having 15 different Windows-type Explorers on my computer.

The fact that Albert wants to keep HTML Validator just that is great! Too many programs start out doing one thing great and then decide to become the "one program does it all" and their core reason for existenence falls behind in the rush to add featurers.

Thanks Albert for keeping it to one simple, yet very good process!

FYI, for checking links, I use Xenu Link Sleuth - a free program!
Gorky
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

once again: more powerful search and replace - nothing more

Post by Gorky »

paulp575,

I don´t know what you have looked :o : I was asking for this feature : a more powerful search and replace function for a whole website, which would enhance the existing search and replace function of HTML-Validator:

Quote from http://www.tali.com/tools.html#aboutps:
First of all, HTML files are not text files, even though they are saved as text. HTML files follow a specific set of rules in how their content is read by an HTML browser, and standard find and replace tools do not take this into consideration. For example, in HTML a space, a tab, and a line break are all equivalent. Well-formatted HTML source that is easy to read and work with contains many tabs and line breaks that will never be rendered when the file is viewed in a browser. Your standard search tool will not know to find the search string "hello world" in the following example, yet in HTML it should be found.

In this example we have the text "hello
world" separated by a line break and a tab.

Likewise, you'll be able to find text bracketed by HTML tags, such as "click here" in the following line of an HTML file:

Don't try to find this
click <a href="link.html">here</a>
in your text editor!

HTML PowerSearch is an HTML-specific tool that knows how to intelligently perform searches on HTML files.

Secondly, performing a search or search & replace across an entire Website using an editor or word processor can be very tedious. HTML PowerSearch handles entire Websites, stored in any number of subdirectories, with one button click.

Thirdly, HTML PowerSearch combines its HTML-specific searching with flexible wild-card searching. You will never be able to return to working on your Websites without the aid of HTML PowerSearch.

Paul575 FYI: I Know Xenu, and HTML-Validator can also check links :D

Gorky
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Gorky,

It sounds like HTML PowerSearch can be a useful tool, but the issue is that it's not significantly related to HTML validation, CSS checking, link checking, and accessibility checking. I think such a tool is great to have as a separate application, but it wouldn't make much sense being added to CSE HTML Validator when there are always other improvements that can be made to CSE HTML Validator which make more sense for an HTML validator type program.

While it would be nice if CSE HTML Validator could do everything, it's not realistic. :(
Lou
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Albert, an other vote for your view.

To paraphrase slightly; software programs that try to be all thing to all users, end up not doing any task well. Windows is one example. :(