Wish list

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Wish list

Post by roedygr »

I have posted wish lists many times over the years. Perhaps you have caught up enough to reconsider.

1. treat entities as if they were unicode chars when doing spell check.
2. listen to lang="fr" etc when choosing spell dictionary.
3. tracking last successful scan timestamp so can avoid revalidating most of the time.
4. Way to load documents with problems in a batch validate with a single button push
to be edited.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Wish list

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

1 & 2 should work in v14 if you're talking about the validator engine spelling message. Unfortunately the editor spell checker is not as advanced so simply doing a spell check (F7) or using the live spell checker in the editor won't support 1 & 2, but if you validate the document, then the spell checker in the validator engine does the character reference conversions and should honor the "lang" attribute for languages it recognizes. Does this work for you?

I have not gotten to 3 & 4. If I recall, I did ask you for more information on these earlier but I don't believe I received a response.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

Spelling.
I am mostly using the Validator for spell checking. Most of my markup is computer generated so rarely has errors unless I have screwed up copy/paste.

Another feature that would save me a lot of time is a "<!-- csesic" tag that says, "the stuff inside this tag is spelled in a strange way. Please leave it alone, but don't consider it valid in any other context." Every time I check a document I have to reok all these "errors", often in quotations.

Much of my markup in generated from embedded comments. It is thus even more important to correct spelling errors in comments than in markup. It would be nice to be able to turn on spelling checking independently in markup and comments.

I will have to try out V14 to see if new features help with my rather tedious spell checking tasks. Gradually getting there.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Roedy,

I think CSE HTML Validator may be able to help you make your spell checking less tedious. If you could send me some sample files (via email attachment) and detail how you'd like spell checking to work, then I may be able to add any missing functionality to CSE HTML Validator v14 that you'd need in order to get it to work the way you want using custom user functions.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

>3. tracking last successful scan timestamp so can avoid revalidating most of the time.

Any time you validate a document in batch or editor and save you have a little database where you store the file name and the timestamp it was found good.

Then at any time in future, when you are asked to validate a document, you look up the name in the database (speaking in Java terms, it could be a serialised HashMap or serialised TreeMap, not a full database). If the date in the database equals the current date, you bypass validating the file.

What this lets you do is be very sloppy and ask Validator to revalidate everything, even though you have only changed 5 or so files, and it will happen almost as fast as if you had
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

>4. Way to load documents with problems in a batch validate with a single button push
to be edited.

The easiest way to implement this would be a configuration switch. ON means load up all failed documents in the editor at the end of a batch run
automatically. It is a real pain to have to find and load them all manually.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

Albert Wiersch wrote:
1 & 2 should work in v14 if you're talking about the validator engine spelling message.
I gather you have two different methods of spell checking, like batch and editor validation. I could not find any way to trigger the "engine" checking.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

roedygr wrote:>4. Way to load documents with problems in a batch validate with a single button push
to be edited.

The easiest way to implement this would be a configuration switch. ON means load up all failed documents in the editor at the end of a batch run
automatically. It is a real pain to have to find and load them all manually.
Would you be able to help test this? I could perhaps implement this with a custom user function by adding the documents you want to open in the editor to a variable array.

Also, are your Batch Wizard jobs just checking local files?

As for the spell checker, if you have it enabled for validations, then one of the validator messages should list the misspelled words if any were found. Are you seeing these messages?
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

>Would you be able to help test this? I could perhaps implement this with a custom user function by adding the documents you want to open in the editor to a variable array.

Oh yes. Everything you can do will same me hours.

Also, are your Batch Wizard jobs just checking local files? all local, though all are posted at http://mindprod.com

As for the spell checker, if you have it enabled for validations, then one of the validator messages should list the misspelled words if any were found. Are you seeing these messages?

This is is not of much use. I still have to find them and correct them. Right now there are far too many false alarms to be of any use. I need to scoot to the next error.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with as a way to open files with errors in the editor.

As for the false alarms in the spelling message, you might want to copy and paste the spelling message (which lists the misspelled words) into the editor and then right-click on the false alarm words and add them to the dictionary.

If you decide that you don't want to do any spell checking at all, then you can turn off the spell checking and stop generating that message. That would speed up the validations a bit.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

In the upcoming v14.02 update, you can now write a TNPL program like the below:

This example checks to see if there are any errors in the target that was just processed, and if so, then it adds the target to the $_JOB.openineditor array if the array contains less than 50 entries. The targets in the $_JOB.openineditor array are automatically opened in the editor after the Batch Wizard job completes.

Code: Select all

function onTargetProcessed() {
 if (getValueInt(1)>0) { // if # of errors > 0
  if ($_JOB.openineditor.arrayLength()<50) {
   $_JOB.openineditor[]=getValueString(5);
  }
 }
}
Save the above in a text file with a name like "MyBatchWizardUserFunctions.cfg" and specify the filename in the target lists you want to apply it to in the 'Target List Options' tab of the Batch Wizard for the 'User functions file' option.

Please let me know how this works when you get a chance to try it. :D
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Can the openineditor array be accessed externally. i.e.
  1. Saved to file.
  • Read in from file.
That might open up some useful capabilities.

If that is possible, what does the array look like?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Mike,

The array is just an array of strings, with each string being the full path of the file or URL to open in the editor.

You should be able to save/write the array with writeFile(), but there is currently no support for reading files so the array can't be read in from a file. Of course, support for this could always be added. If you want to do something, then please let me know what it is you'd like and I would be happy to look into adding any additional functionality you might need in order to do it.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks for that.

That functionality looks good for what I currently envisage.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:That functionality looks good for what I currently envisage.
Hi Mike,

Do you mean the current functionality looks good? Or did you want me to add something you could use?